Changing synthetic oil.

radiorick

How often do you change synthetic oils?

How often do you guys change synthetic oil. I have a '89 SC with 31,000 miles on her. I'm using Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30 oil. I know regular oil changes at 3,000 miles, but synthetic oils in the Super Coupe can you go 4 - 5 -6,000 miles on the same oil? I've heard mechanics saying you can leave the synthetics oils in longer. Will this harm the Supercharger at all? How many miles should I leave it in? Thanks Rick

Last edited:
Synthetic Oil

First off...The supercharger has its own reservoir within its case; It uses pure Synthetic oil, it looks CLEAR in color almost...The fact that you are not aware if this means you need to surf the FAQ and buy a manual if you are gona maintain it yourself...

If you are gonna run Mobil 1 you have amde a good choice in my opinion. As far as time/milage intervals, I would say that you can tread the waters out there in 4-5-6K mile land, but myself I would not advise it nor disagree with what you are considering...I have read alotta articles sayin' that you can go in the 12K mile range before needing an oil change, but there is no way in hell I am gonna do that...Regardless to all of that, use your best judgement...

you may wanna look into changing your Supercharger OIL...Look in the front of the SC....Looking at it from the front of the car it is at the base of the case on the driverside of the SC..It is a BLACK allen style plug....Unscrew that and check your level and quality...The oil should just touch the bottom of the plug with the plug installed...Do sweat the metalic content in the oil...Smell the oil and if it is skunky smelling or dirty in color, you need to change it...There is alot of info on doing this if you look around for it...

Much luck

BMW or MD is saying on some of their cars with synthetic to change it every 9000 miles. Remember its not the oil that goes bad, its the contaminates that the filter can not get out of the oil, either because they are too small, its a sorry filter or the filter pleats are too dirty to do any more. In theory, you could keep the same oil for ever if the filter filtered out 100% of everything.

Once a year for me...

I always change it in the spring and some years also in the fall.

The past few years I've put less than 1,000 miles on it and the oil is always clear, but I change it for good measure.

This past year I drove to Carlisle and back (750 miles round trip) and put another 100 on to going to car shows.

currently at 48, 238 miles.

Back