Stumbling idle, bucking while driving

Bill McCabe

Couple weeks ago, I felt my '90 SC learch a couple when I began to drive home from work.
Now, it has turned into a horribly rough idle and consistent stumbling and lurching while driving.

I have been wondering if CAM or Crank sensors might be to blame, but I don't have any problems with the tacometer working, the yellow up-shift light staying lit while starting, or hard starting. I have heard all of these are symptoms of bad Cam or Crank sensors.

Any ideas?

The problem is at its worst when cold, but it is not fully absent while hot.

Every once and a while, the problems is gone for a while and it runs totally smooth. Then, it returns...

Thanks,
Bill.

Start with the basics - a bad plug or wire will do exactly what you describe. When was the last tune up? Anywhere near you that has the free code reading? Might be something stored even if there's no light.....

Try getting a ford code puller. I had that same problem on my 89 SC, turned out that the knock sensor was totally shot.

The code puller will tell you which sensor is shot.

Good luck

No codes for cam sensor..

Sorry. Bad cam sensor won't throw a code. This causes Ford techs lots of grief since thats how they're trained. Replace it. $30 at Orielly's.

Back