How much will a hub changeover cost

rolltide

I need some advice please. I am thinking of changing over to mustang bolt pattern cost. Is it possible and waht is involved. How much will it run me. Do mustangs have a 17x8 Cobra wheel. I can't find any for thunderbirds so I am thinking of changing over. Could anyone out there help me please. Is this process advisable without costing me a whole lot of $$$. Basically, I want bigger brakes and rotors because every t-bird I have owned (LX and SC) has shimmy problem when coming to a stop. I also want 7 1/2 wide or 8 inch wide chrome Cobra wheels. I currently have 17x9's and they are too wide for me.

Thank you for your time and help.

Happy Holidays
-Tony

What year is your SC ?? Makes a difference for some of the parts ....

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Have a look at Doug Fraleigh's tech article here on hub swaps and rotor upgrades ... there are a few ways to go at it. On a 94, the big stuff pretty much bolts right on the front.

cheers
Ed N.

for the front brakes Doug's web site, given above, will provide you with all the info needed. The front brakes are no problem for change.
Here's what i'm in the middle of.
get front calipers from www.discbrakesrus.com
get rear brake package from bill at www.supercoupeperformance.com, and ask him to also order you front rotors 13" , then just tell him you want all your rotors drilled on 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

Then all you need is what ever other parts needed for hub change. you don't need new spindles since you have a 94. but you will need mustang hubs all around, and thats pretty much it. you might want to get new wheel bearing also, and a new one of those nuts that holds the hub in place.

jim
PS. why don't you like the 17x9 wheels???
And if you want 7.5 wide rims, check the new retro bird wheels, they are 7.5 wide, but i think you need a spacer for them??

James, that Mustang bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5", not 5.5" ... that would be pre-1997 F-150 truck pattern !!

cheers
Ed N.

I just did the swap and 98 cobra rims with 245/45/17 fit perfect!

I treid a set of fox bodied 5 lug rims and they rubbed big time....So a 17*8 98 cobra rim would be a hot ticket.

Back