Radiator temp higher. Heater heat is not so hot.

TrippyZippy

Hello. Recently my temperature gauge is registering on the M in “norm”. For the 2 years before it used to rest on the line just before the “C” always and also now it takes my heater slightly longer to get hot and it isn’t SUPER hot anymore. I replaced the thermostat and refilled the radiator properly but it is still doing this. I am worried that in summertime it will blow probably. I was wondering if any of you had any insight on this problem. I'm sure there is a blockage somewhere but I didn't know if there is a common blockage spot for this car? Thanks for any information you have.

~Zippy

unhook both hoses to the heater core and flush water through in both directions. Your core sounds like it is blocked.

will do.

thanks so much for your help guys. I will post back with the results when I get to the car. Thanks again. Peace.

You are low on coolant. The reason that your heater is cold is there isn't any coolant in it. No coolant no heat.

How exactly did you fill the system properly?

Jeff

No need to drain it. Remove the bolt that is to the right of the thermostat housing/water neck. It has (or had) a plastic cover that says "remove before filling radiator" or somrthing like that. Fill the radiator through the filler cap until water comes out of the stem that you removed the bolt from. Replace the rad cap and bolt, top off the coolant overflow (make sure there isn't a leak in it or you will overheat in a week or so).

Now start the car and let it idle for a while, about 10 minutes. Make sure that the AC is not on or the cooling fan comes on. After about ten minutes drive it around the block a few times be a little hard on it and then drive it back to the house and park it. Allow it to cool for a few hours. The object is to get the engine hot to allow the air trapped to be vented through the overflow. Then when the engine cools it will suck coolant back into the system.

Jeff

Back