back firing though intake

Sean_89SC

My 89 SC stalled on me one night, it spend six weeks in a shop and they couldn't find any elecronic problem with it, or timing problem.
It runs but I have to keep feeding it gas, no power, can't even drive it more then a few feet, loud back firing through intake manifold on right side.
I was told it could be a broken valve spring. can any one help me?
Thanks!

Check that the balancer bolt is still in the center and not sheered off. Sounds like the timing is WAY off.

Jeff

CHECK THE TIMING!

I agree with Jeff. My 94 SC had a new motor installed 10,000 miles before I bought it. The idiot Ford mechanic who installed the motor did not tighten the balancer bolt so over that 10,000 miles the normal 3/16ths inch width crank keyway became 1/2 inch which caused the car to go into the "limp" mode. If you have an automatic you are probably experiencing wierd transmission shifting as well. I had plenty of boost but no power. I got 11 MPG. Get a timing light and check the timing. The base timing is fixed at 10°BTDC. When you advance the throttle, the timing should advance. If it does not move or moves very little then something has happened to the balancer. A couple of times when I had the bad balancer on the car it actually tried to run right. When it did, it backfired really bad when I added any boost. I doubt it is the crank sensor because the car dies when they fail. That happened to me on my 90 Super Cougar.

Hope this helps!

Ed Springer

edspringer1@a0l.com

90 Black Super Cougar 5-Speed
94 Red SC Auto

Thats what I thought, when I had it in the shop they found the timing cover was craked, had it replaced and timing checked. also replaced egnition modual and had it put on the scope. they couldn't find anything wrong with sencers or computers?
Would a broken valve spring or dropped valve cause anything like this??
please help!!! I just put $3000 worth of stuff on the car?

We need more info. It's broke and don't work is not enough. Be very detailed. If you changed plug wires you might have crossed some.

Jeff

Back