Intermittent Tach

Couper

Hey guys, You were a great deal of help on my previous probem with the DIS that I thought I'd try my luck on a problem with my tach. Sometimes its dead and then at times it comes alive. But mostly dead. Is there some sensor I need to replace, since I'm sure that this is an electronic tach as apposed to the old mechanical type. Any tips?

Also, Is there only one fuel filter on these cars (the one under the right side door)? And what is the best way to clean the fuel injectors without litterally taking them apart (as I hear this is a big job). Any good fuel additives you guys could reccommend?

There is only one fuel filter and it is underneath the car on the passenger side. About a 15 minute job and $14.00.

As far as injector cleaners the best in the bottle is Techron IMO. To really clean them good without removing them will require a kit that hooks up to the fuel rail via the schraeder valve. I would choose the latter method if you really think that they are dirty.

I'm not sure about the tach but I have heard others talk about a connection that can come loose under the hood somewhere.

Bob

Bad cam sensor..

If you're having it suddenly start bucking and then it clears up after a while and the tach comes and goes, that points to the cam sensor.

Sounds like a cam sensor

I had the same problem. The car ran fine just all of the sudden the tach would go to 0. I replaced the cam sensor and the problem went away.

Scott

Back