Bad cam sensor. Is it hard to install??

I am going to attempt installing the cam sensor, and it looks easy enough. Is there something that I need to know??
Also the tach has been acting funny and jumping around, and the car wont fire up sometimes. Could this be the camshaft sensor, or am I wasting time? I have replaced All other major sensors including the computor. Any advise will be appreciated!
dirtybird91

as long as you are not removing the syncronizer you can simply unplug the sensor remove the two screws and swap the the new part. as for the tach, i think it runs off the coil pack. i had my car shut down on me on the highway and restart then ran like sh$t with no tack so i pulled over and checked things out and my plug for the coil wasn't locked down. pushed it down till it locked and was good to go.don't know if this is the same problem you may have but at least you know where the tack signal comes from.
good luck bro
joe

If I remember correctly, the DIS can cause the tach to act screwy and any of the major sensors can cause the car to have trouble starting. The cam sensor isn't to hard to do. Make sure you use the positoning tool so that your timing doesn't get off and mess it up even more.

question

How do I get my hands on a positioning tool for the camshaft sensor?! I will just be doing what mn12sc35th said by taking off the top syncronizer piece.
dirtybirdie

if your just changing the sensor there is no need to remove the syncronizer, if you pull that out you will need to set #1 cylander to 26 degrees after top dead center.just pull the plastic sensor off and put a new one on. you can't put that on wrong it fits only one way. the positioning tool is for the syncronizer not the cam sensor.
good luck
joe

Can anyone tell me exactly where the cam sensor is on the 3.8?

Also the tach doesn't neccessarily have anything to do with the DIS as I recently replaced mine and the tach is still intermittent.

It's really easy. You just need to have a small (1/4" drive) ratchet with extensions and a 5.5 mm six point socket (try Sears they carry it), also a magnetic tip part retrieval wand for dropped screws. The cam sensor is located on top of the engine front cover, between the water pump and the supercharger. It's the round black plastic puck that says "Caution-Not Adjustable" on it being held on by two 5.5 mm screws where a distributor
would be on an older car. There's a wire connector similar to the mass air's connector plugged into it. It's easier to unplug some of the ignition harness wiring and move it aside, just make sure to push the locking clips down first then pull off the plugs. Upon reconnect make sure all are locked in tight and their little orange gaskets are not being jammed or they will work loose and cause a hard to find stalling problem. Once the cam sensor is fully accessible spray the area with brake cleaner to remove loose dirt so it doesn't fall into the open hole of the synchronizer when removing the old sensor. Then remove the two screws and it lifts right off, put the new one (it only aligns in one position, should be idiot proof) then replace the screws, just tight, as they are small. Reconnect all the wiring checking that it is clear of the belts.
That's it, now it should start right up and run better. By the way the tachometer signal comes directly from the cam sensor so that should clear up as well.

Vernon

Back