cooling fan wire 14?

stephens89sc

To get it to come on when you turn on the car you cut the 14 wire on the ircm between the right headlight and the airbox.

is this right? if so can u guys help me find this wire i know quite a bit about cars but i dont wanna go cutting wires without knowing the exact one to cut

can u guys help me with pics or diagrams or tell me where to find it ??

thx

You'll find the IRCM directly in front of the air filter box along the header panel. It's a black module about 4"x5". You will probably have to take the wiring harness connector off the IRCM in order to see the pinout numbers, they're numbered on the connector though very small. Simply find #14 and cut it, but cut it so you have enough wire on both sides should you decide to reattatch it.

Just as a suggestion, try not to disconnect the big plug if you can avoid it just in case you might damage a pin. I was able to easily read the pin numbers by removing the IRCM from its fender mount without unplugging the big connector.

Yes, cut 14, leave enough to reconnect later if you want. I wired the cut connection under the dash so I can cut and reconnect as I wish - works great.

14 wire

ok dude just cut wire and run to a toggle under dash so you can re activate it at will, also you may want to crimp on a wire to wire 17 for high fan for quick cool downs you ground 17 and high fan comes on hook it to a toggle also so it can be turned on at will.

When U cut the #14 wire U MUST connect the ICRM side of the #14 wire to the #17 wire. This will turn off the low speed fan when the Hi speed fan is activated. If U do not when the high speed fsn is activated the fan will run at a reduced high speed and over heat.

KarDoktor,

It's not absolutely required to connect 14 to 17 after you cut 14. I understand the situation. If you run 14 manually with the switch under the dash and eyeball your temp gauge regularly as you should and your cooling system is functioning correctly, then you should never need to get to the high speed fan. I ran my manual set up all through the hot summer of 2002 here in DC and when the fan is on low (14 cut) the gage never even gets near where the computer would start low speed on its own (even in the godawful traffic here). In fact, in the 10 years I have had the car the high speed fan has NEVER been called for by the computer as the low speed does the total job.

All I'm saying is that if you understand that the low speed MUST be OFF if the high speed is likely to be called for, then you can go with the simpler solution of just putting a toggle on 14 and be done with it. If it ever looks like your temps are getting too high with your manual 14 wire turn on, then turn it off and let the computer take over.

Jon

My experience is similar to Jonroe's. In fact, I never even added a toggle to mine, I simply cut the wire. It's been 7 months like that and my needle has never gone above the "N" and I've never witnessed the HS fan come on even through the summer in Florida, not in 12 years! Also, I do have a backup fan motor just in case my "experiment" goes awry. Hey, someone's got to be a ginuea pig right?

Obviously if your car runs hot normally I wouldn't recommend this simple of a solution. But it's much better than my 185" cool fan" thermo switch setup because the temp gauge fluctuated back and forth too much with that for my liking.

LEGAL DISCLIAIMER: Now,this being said if you're not lazy like me, it would surely help to do the toggle and wiring mentioned above, I'm just bad at following my own advice. :) Cheers.

Last edited:
my 2 worthless canadian cents :)

My take

Pin #14 Low speed Cut pin # 14 to engage low speed

Pin # 17 High speed Ground Pin #17 to engage High speed

I have YET to get an Awnser on how what the EEC send to turn OFF the low speed through pin #14... I'm taking it as a ground...

Also it's not good to be running current into the `low speed' and `high speed' of the Motor.. You will create extra heat and it WILL run with less power and speed..

NOW with that being said... :)

Wiring the IRCM side of PIN#14 to pin #17 would be a good choice.. since it will trun off the low speed circuit well turning on the High speed..

in an emergency you can unplug the ect sensor to turn high speed on. i had to do that becuase of a bad ect.computor thinks it's hot when unplugged.
joe

ect unplugged

actually, the computer thinks cold when you unplug it (-40 F), but stratedgy turns the cooling fan on, car can't possibly be -40 when intake air temp is high, oil temp is high, so default is ect must be defective, so It turns on the fans...Johnny

It always amazes me when I here my car never goes past the N or my high speed never comes on. I can't think of one person in the SCCOO in Ontario who'se car does not run hot with the AC on in traffic in the summer. This is including 94-95's not just the older girls. Maybe it's just a Canadian thing.

Such is life......

It's like the guys that run a 14.6 bone stock when others are spending $2500 to run 15.0. That would be upsetting.

hehe just like why did i drop 1 second by just removing the air silencer adding a K&N and a `off road' exhuast with 2 chamber flowmaster.. ?? since surposely my car stock is like 16.8 in the 1/4 and i ran a 15.8..

But each car is different.. Hence why Generic chips are a waste.. what would work for car A may not work for car B...

And on the topic of cooling fans.. Well If yah live in the great white north like Canada VS Florida, chances of the High speed turning on are less likely ;)

cooling

I have two '90 s running right now in the central valley in Ca. Temps here get to 105 in the summer. My titanium car never gets to the n in norm with all factory settings and equipment. My Black one always runs up to the back of the m and alittle beyond. I put an aftermarket fan that runs all the time in the Black to try to keep it cool, it was running too hot before I did that. I talked to both people I bought the cars from and they are both bone stock, so I don't know why the big difference. I'm just happy the new fan keeps the temp just over the m now. I'm just agreeing that all these cars are different, so go with what works for you.
Ed

I did all that wire cutting and playing with pin 14 and 17 some time ago, as a matter of fact I posted the potential disasters of leaving 14 open and what happene when the high speed kicks on back in the early part of the summer. To the point that XR7 Dave modified his cool fan switch circuitry to accomodate this somewhat unknown fact at the the time.

Bravo on wiring 14 to 17 on the IRCM side, that never dawned on me as a sure fire way to ensure the low speed goes off when you manually kick in the high.

What I have been playing with and quite succesfully is wiring in a potentiometer in parallel with the ECT sensor and adjusting it to have the fans come on like the EEC tuner would only for about 5 bucks in parts. It makes the EEC think it is actually warmer than the engine really is and turns on the fans automatically. Works flawlessly, except up here where it gets colder one needs to have a switch and only engage the potentiometer after reaching operating temp.

Back