car is idling funky, symptoms and codes inside

pdennis93

my car is idling very lopy, almost like it has a custom cam, at 500rpm in drive at a stoplight the tach starts vibrating, and the car feels lopey, and the vac gauge is right at 12 hg, where its normally at 20. and i am also getting a check engine light when leaving stoplights

here are the codes and what the autozone 'puter says about them

1. 118- coolant temp sensor signal is erratic or intermittant (possibly from coolfan mod)

2. 563 problem detected in electronic high speed fan or ircm (coolfan mod again i would guess)

3. 189 left oxygen sensor is sending a high signal which means running rich

i have also gotten a 176 before (like in august) which indicated left o2 sensor running lean.

any help appreciated

btw when i say "coolfan mod" i mean that scott cut one of my ircm wires (14 or 17, not sure) and ran it to ground so that the high speed fan comes on with the ignition.

Sounds like your O2 sensors need to be replaced. I have a similar problem with mine right now. The only difference is my left is always lean. That generally indicates that the sensors are bad, not another aspect of the engine. I posted a thread here about a month ago going into detail about my problem. It is called Intermitten Idle Trouble if you want to look it up. Then I pulled the codes with a trusted mechanic. He said that my O2 sensor was shot. I'll go ahead and replace both just to be proactive. I'd say with 95% certainty that your idle problem will go away with new O2 sensors. I've been warned against O'Reilly's as those sensors 'tend' to not last very long. Carquest was the recommended place to get O2 sensors and that is where I'll get them ($53.05 ea). Hope this helps.

Back