Bolt reuse on Suspension parts.

Greg

My shop manual for some of the bolts and nuts on the front and rear suspension state that you should replace them.

Well, my connection at the Ford dealer has tried his best to get all these required bolts and nuts replace. Anyone know where I can get the upper control arm bolts, the two that connect it to the body? Also, looking for the upper control nut that goes on the pinch bolt for the ball joint. In addition, I am looking for the rear lower control arm bolts that connect to the knuckle and the bolts for the lower rear shock. Mine were really rusted out and should be replaced.

One last question, what do you recommend for lubrication of the rubber and polyurethane bushings? I got some "Prothane Super Grease" with my poly kit from MN12, but it's not enough for everything that I am doing. Can't find it at my local parts stores that I visit. Would lithium grease work for both poly and rubber bushings?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Greg

I've never replaced a rear suspension bolt or nut yet even if the manual says so:p. I've resused the hub nuts several times and they have never lost torque yet, if they do loosen they can damage the bearing. Since most fasteners are discontinued anyways and cost roughly 10-20US each. If Ford doesnt have new ones no one does.

The ones on mine were rotted and I had to heat and that ruined the "temper", so I got used ones from a wrecker. The only one I'm missing is the rear inner control arm nut that attaches to the alignment adjustment bolt with the round washer with alignment marks:D(anyone?...)

That urethane bushing grease is available from anyone that sells Energy Suspension bushings etc(I bought a little container of it). I would use something really heavy duty, maybe even anti-sieze?

Back