Power Antenna

EZBird

Does anyone know the best method of troubleshooting a power antenna that just quit working. I don't have a schematic which would give a clue where to start.
Thanks....Rick

Rich the easyest plan would be to take the pass front wheel off remove the fender liner and check the antennas wireing with a test light. It's not as hard as tearing into the dash and will make it that much easyer to replace what I would bet is a defective power antenna assembly.

Vernon

Crank the wheel over to the left. undo the plastic wheel well liner on the pass side. Gently pull the liner out from the fender at the back. Reach up and feel around for 2 plastic caps and unscrew them. Pull the felt cover out. Reach up and grope around for the power connector on the antenna motor (not the antenna cable) its near the bottom on the back side and pulls up from what I recall.

Pull the wire out some and check it with a volt meter with the key on and you pressing the switch up/down. The polarity should go 0 (switch off), +12V (switch up or down), -12V (switch the opposite way). If this is happening, the problem is in the motor itself. If its not happening, you need to check your fuses.

hey,i was gonna post a antenna problem myself,must be the week of crapped out antennas? my problem is the antenna motor is running like crazy,but the antenna doesnt move! unless you push it/pull it a little then it grabs and goes up/down like it should,hmmmmmm?

DDW, procede similar to above but with antenna all the way up unplug it. Now it's fixed. LOL

Vernon

funny you should say that,after pushing/pulling the antenna for awhile,i left it up.the motor runs for like 30 seconds then shuts off.once it burns up,i wont have to listen to that damn humming/buzzing sound anymore.

Wiring Details??

I am wondering if the switch for up and down reverses the polarity as opposed to the motor being self limiting and self reversing.
Is the meter applied across both leads at the connector? Is it the switch that reverses the polarity on those two wires. With a DC motor that would change the direction of the motor.

Which fuse supplies the power to the switch?

Before we try to fix it, it may be wise to understand how it is supposed to work.

Aye. The switch reverses the polarity. So to test it really, you have to swap the test leads also. That is unless you have an autoranging multimeter. I don't know the fuse number, but they are labelled on the cover under the dash on the driver side. Since its switched power, that's where you'll find it.

I don't have the wiring handy, but the circuit is so simple that you don't really need it. Either there's juice at the connector, or there isn't. If the juice is there, then the problem is in the motor itself. If it isn't then you check fuses. If you don't find a burned out fuse, then you start tracing and Ohming out wires. That's when you need the diagram.

One other note, if you do find a burned out fuse, you need to figure out what caused it to go.. fuses are not maintenance items, rather they're safeguard devices.

For the people with the motor running steady but no movement of the antenna it is probably the antenna cable snapped. Easy fix you can usually do without removing the antenna motor. Go to parts store or ford dealer and ask for antenna mast assembly. Let them know you don't want the motor. I think even the Ford ones come with directions. It has been a while since I replaced one but if you have questions post them and I will try to help.

Also for good maintance put the antenna in the up position. Spray WD 40 on a rag and wipe the antenna down. Now lower and raise the antenna a few times and do it again. It cleans the debris off the antenna and lubes it making it work better. I had to do this at least once a month on my 96 Tbird or it would not go down all the way. Good luck.

Busted Plastic gear (looks like rope)

Can you buy the grooved plastic rope which drives the antenna up and down. Does Ford or somebody sell this or is it time to visit the junkyard.

different problem again

Well my antene works pretty good, but doesnt go all the way up and doesnt come all the way down. Any ideas?

Thanks
JOe

Re: Busted Plastic gear (looks like rope)

pancake said:
Can you buy the grooved plastic rope which drives the antenna up and down. Does Ford or somebody sell this or is it time to visit the junkyard.

I know Ford has it and I heard places like autozone have it. The rope should come with a new antenna mast. Antenna mast and rope are one piece.

Re: different problem again

tbird79 said:
Well my antene works pretty good, but doesnt go all the way up and doesnt come all the way down. Any ideas?

Thanks
JOe

Have someone turn the car on and make the antenna go up while you stand outside and help the antenna up. That should work to raise it completely. Then spray the thing down with WD40 and lower the antenna. After a few times it should move freely.

Back