Tires, Tires, Tires!

BlueThunder90

What tires are you guys running on your SC?

I'm currently running 245/50/16 Toyo FZ4's but I need a new set of 4. I've been looking at many different brands, but I'm wondering what you guys use and if you'd recommend them.

Firehawk SZ50 all around no a bad tire but 225/60/16 are a little big for the car. But they are a nice tire and not bad off the line on the street

The Firehawks are nice! But they're quite expensive. They're close to $250/tire.

Bill, I can get the Yoko's (AVID H4 P245/50R16) for $143 which seems like a reasonable price.

The Toyo FZ4 and the Yokohama Avid H4 are probably the best tires for performance vs. price.

Generally, more expensive tires are better performing, but this isn't always true. Price a stock replacement Goodyear Eagle ZR 'Gatorback' for a late model 17" Mustang application ... they're about $300 + each, and are pretty much the biggest pucks you can buy these days, nice 1984 tire technology.

I'm using Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2 tires on my 18" rims ... they work well wet and dry, but the regular price on them is pretty scary !! :eek: Most likely I would have used something else if I hadn't got the killer deal on these ones.

cheers
Ed N.

If you get the Yokahamas you might as well get the 255s as a reasonable stock replacement. Keep in mind, I have 255/45R17 tires, and they do not provide enought traction for the power level. Considering you plan to have more power than I do, you'' likely need to invest in some rims that will take a 275 or 285 width tire.

Bill, an inch more rubber with street tires on the rear isn't going to make a ton of difference with added horsepower ... drag radials are going to be needed if you really want to hook up.

cheers
Ed N.

The Toyo's are nice, but at close to $300/tire, I'm looking at other options.

As for traction, the Toyo's were good and held up well to many burnouts. I will be using a set of BFG drag radials at the track not the tires I'm considering buying now.

Michelin Pilot XGT V4 225/60VR15. I have these on my Capri and they are amazing. Even in the rain, they keep the car glued. I plan on getting these for my Bird in a 245/50HR16 or 255. They are the only tire i'll bother with. Performance vs. price they are a great value.

Back