Taking off Power Steering Pulley???

Red Thunder SC

K, I went and bought the $40 kit to pull altenater and power steering pulleys off, hooked it up and started pulling my P/S pulley washer/clamp thing off, continued to try and pull (actually I wrenched on it) and that little 1" around disc holding the pulley on will not budge. Am I missing something here, is there a nut, bolt, or pin that has to come out first, or do I just wrench on it even harder? I was scared of breaking something, so I thought I'd ask.

Many Thanks,
Stephan.

There should be 2 half moon pieces which fit around the lip of the pulley and the around the base of the forcing screw. That base has a nut which the forcing screw fits through. Then you slide the ring over the 2 halfs to hold it all in place. From there you take a wrench to the top of the forcing screw and use it to hold it still. Then you take another wrench to the nut on the base and turn CCW until it starts tightening up. Then turn some more. It take about 20 lbs of torque to get it to start moving. But thats basically it. When it moves, it'll make a popping noise. Just keep going until its off. There is nothing additional holding the pulley on.

you shouldnt need to do anything else. they are on there REALLY good, i dont want to tell you to keep going and break something, but it should work its way off sooner or later.

Stefan. Be careful, i snapped the the shaft off. Try heating the pulley with an electric heat gun before you use the puller.

OK, that sounds like a good idea. I will heat it first. What is that hex bolt in the middle for. It isn't supposed to come out first, is it?

Stephan,

If you don't mind my asking, why are you pulling the power steering pump pulley? Over the years I've seen several people mention removing the pulley, but still don't understand why.

I've modded nearly every part of my engine twice and the heads have been off several times and still there was no reason to remove the power steering pump pulley.

Just unbolt the mounting bracket that holds the power steering pump, alternator and coil pack. Pull the whole assembly forward and tie it up and out of the way with a piece of nylon string. The bolt behind the pulley is hard to reach but isn't impossible.

David

90 would be pretty close. After you get it out toss it in the trash and never deal with it again.

Ford got a little carried away with bolts in that area.

I haven't even found the 'spare' bolt yet, never mind trying to get a wrench on it :lol

All I really need is to undo the P/S pump to get the lower ic tube out, so i don't want to do the whole bracket system.

As far as I can see, and for what I've been told, I do. But I went and took the whole assembly apart afterall, I couldn't get that pulley off (almost broke a 7/8" wrench on it, so decided that it wasn't going to budge).

If I'm not mistaken the bolt that you are referring to is holding the bottom SC tube onto the back of the power steering pump assembly. I just replaced my radiator so I took off the intercooler and resealed my tubes.

There was one bolt that I couldn't get to that you need to access from the underside. You can barely see it but you can't get to it without moving some things. I was able to move the tube closest to the inlet just far enough to clean the surfaces and get a new gasket in there to seal the tube. I used a set of gaskets from t-bird 88 and they made it a lot easier. David is right that Ford got carried away with bolts and you don't need that one so throw it away if you ever get it off. There are two bolts holding that tube on in that area any way. I would suspect that anyone that doesn't have this bolt still in placet that it was discarded by someone that worked on their car that had to remove the tubes at one time.

Bob

Back