I Want To Kill This Pos

thunderbird89sc

Ok so here i am with new motor mounts and new clutch and ps hose and rotors,,, the list could go on forever, anyway, there is a weired Popping sound with i turn it doesn't really matter which way i turn. so i took off the passanger side wheel,, this is where the noise is comming from by the way, the pass front end, anyway, i tighten everything up, the is a mark of bare metal on the controll bar, it looks like the bar that comes out of the half shaft that turns the wheel, (cant think of the name, hope you know what i am talking about) is rubbing on there, so i dont know what the hell to do, i am to the point that i have spent to much money on it to blow it up like i want to right now, or get rid of it, cant trade it in she has 215510 miles, Any ideas wat the hell this noise is would be great, I love her but i hate her. and pics would help to, if there is a part i should look for.

Matt

probably loose ball joints, upper control arm, tie rods inner/outer, lower balljoint or something similar, maybe just bad rack and pinion mounts. Best way to check is jack up the car, support it FIRMLY on stands and shove a shovel? handle or bat(anything strong) under each wheel and lift(dont tip the car over:rolleyes: ), if the wheels move up sightly the upper joints are gone. Could also be strut bar bushings(cause it wander under braking or on bumpy roads).. Another way is take it to an alignment shop and tell them to FULLY inspect each joint, some places just take a look if they are still there or something and not check for looseness:rolleyes:

Matt no offence but maybe you should take it to some pros to diagnose the bad part, just pay them a few bucks to tell you what parts are bad and point them out to you. It's kinda hard to figuire out what your describing. You see half-shafts are the axles that turn the rear wheels. But you're talking about the front suspension and steering linkage. At least go down to the auto parts and drop $20 more on a good repair manual so you will have a fighting chance at knowing what you're doing and be able to ask questions that get better answers on the board. I want to help you out because I know from experiance just how you feel right now about the car. If you could get some pics up pointing out the part and where the rub spot is that would work also.

That being said there's something I can suggest that usually helps in this situation. get the front end up in the air and get under it. Look at the front crossmember/engine cradle section of the frame that runs from side to side holding the engine and front suspension. It has 8 bolts that hold it onto the cars main frame or body. They have a wierd looking head design to prevent tampering but they can be tampered with by using a large 6 point impact socket that just fits over the wierd head. I remember that its Imperial but not sure if it was 13/16 or 15/16. At any case find the proper fit and using an impact or large breaker bar tighten the hell out of all 8 of them. For some reason these things work loose over time and cause a hard to diagnose popping when turning and sometimes going over slight bumps at highway speeds. Even professional shops rarely find this one as most cars don't have this problem but two of my SCs did and many others I told on these boards found loose fasteners here that solved the problem.

Now if you actually have steering linkage or suspension parts rubbing on something you should rectify the problem ASAP before it fails and you loose control while driving.

Vernon

Those bolts are probably exaxtly whats wrong on my buddies SC. We have been trying to figure it out for a couple of years without any luck.

Back