How to get something loose that has red loctite on it???

Scott Long

I had my spindle lock nut come loose over the summer, so I bought a new one, and torqued it down. No problems for a while. A few weeks later it came loose again, so I put red loctite on it and torqued it down again, let it dry over night... haven't had a problem with it coming loose.

Now I have had a noise in the rear end for about a week now, I've replaced the rear brakes, the caliper, etc... still making a metal on metal squealing sound. My only last thought is the wheel bearing was probably damaged when the lock nut came loose and now its finally going bad. This does sound like a bearing with no lubrication, and it makes the noise any time the car is moving whether the brakes are applied or not. Also if it was a brake problem I'd assume the car would slow down when I'm not on the gas, but it doesn't. So my last thought is wheel bearing.

Anyways I am stumped at how to get this lock nut off now since its torqued to like 90-100 ft. lbs. and has red loctite on it. I've got a 24" breaker bar, but I don't know if that and my 36mm socket will do the trick. I also have an air compressor and an impact wrench in my garage, but I have to do this in the driveway and I don't think I have enough air hose to reach outside. And its like 33 degress. So I'm not looking forward to this but I will have to do it myself. Problem is finding a place to press the bearings on a saturday.

Anyone ever bust loose "heavy duty" loctite?

I just called two machine shops and they can't press the bearing till monday... and the junkyard I called is closed so I can't just get a spindle/hub assembly and swap it for now. DAMN!

Heat will usually help. I would think that you could break it loose with your breaker bar if it is only 100ft/lbs. The 1/2" impact always works for me.

The torque spec is 250ft/lbs on those nuts. If you use new nuts and torque it down that tight, you should not need the locktite.

If you're worried about it coming loose again afterwards, just use some blue Loctite threadlocker on it, that stuff is made to be removeable.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

George is right, you need heat on red locktite to remove it. 262, 271, and 272 all require heat, 272 is for temps up to 450F so if you got 272 good luck.

Jeff

Breaking loose

You can also put the breaker bar handle inside a longer steel pipe which will apply more force. good luck

Back