Another question about crank sensors.

Bsrkr

Hi all,

Here's my problem: I have noticed my tach jumping lately. I've had no other symptoms such as bad starting or stalling...yet. I read in some posts that the upshift light will come on while I start the car if the crank sensor is bad. I really haven't noticed if it does this or not; I'll check that tomorrow.

Also, I have no idea if this could related, but my car stubbles for a moment if I stab the throttle.

I don't believe it's my cam sensor or dis because I have replaced both of them within the last year.

So could anyone give me any pointers?

Thanks!

Those symptoms sound very much like either the cam sensor or DIS module. Just because a part is new does not guarantee it is good or will last as long as the original part. Did you put the heat sink grease under the DIS when you replaced it? Are you getting a check engine light? Have you scanned the EEC for codes yet?

Thanks. You're right about new parts.

I did put heat sink on the dis. I haven't ran the codes yet because I HATE my pos scanner. Maybe I'll do it tommorow. And I'm not getting an engine light either. When the dis previously went bad the car ran rough, the tach jumped and I got the check engine light occasionally. So far I've only seen my tach jump a couple of times with no other symptoms.

Do you think the slight hesitation under hard acceleration is connected with this somehow?

When the cam sensor went out in my '95 it would miss really bad under load and even cruising at a constant speed you would feel an occasional miss. Can't remember if I got a check engine light intially or not, but it did come on after a while. If you don't like your scanner, you can scan for codes with a paper clip.

Back