Simple Question

38SCPROJECT

I have just bough a 92 SC Black on Black... my new car is currently a automatic (NO OD) I have a 5sp out of a 91.... Is the center consoul diffrent from an automatic car to a standered car?

Thanks for the help....

There are more differences than just the console if you are thinking of doing a 5-speed swap. It is a pretty time consuming swap and rather expense project because of the amount of parts that you need to buy to accomplish it. I know that there are others that have done it so you will get some replys.

I would just get the automatic rebuilt and put a shift kit in it like the terminator valve body. The automatics can be made pretty quick and are actually easier to get off of the line than the 5-speeds because of wheel hop issues.

Did you buy the one on e-bay from the guy in Milford? I looked at it about a month ago and almost bought it. If that is the car the body and interior are in pretty good shape. I bought a 95 5-speed in Michigan instead because it needed less work.

I have a 90 SC automatic and a 95-SC 5 speed

Bob

Last edited:
Yes

Yes I did end up buying the one in milford. I have another 3.8L SC motor that I had for another project I am going to install it in this car while I rebuild the one that is in there. As for the 5sp yes I was look towards doing a conversion, My local upull and save junkyard has a 91 with a 5 speed in it... they told me I could have everything that went with the 5 speed for 100.00 bucks.... but the interior is grey not black.... So I thought that I would rebuild the 5 sp and drop it in. It is going to be a long project, but I kinda like long projects. I can't wait I am going to get the car tomorrow, I'll let you know how the ride home goes.

Tim

There are grey top covers for 5-spd? Damn I didn't know that. You have two options there, paint it or you could cover it with vinyl (shouldnt be hard to do). Anyway, if you're rebuilding the 5-spd tranny the rebuild kit is around 350-400$ (my dad works for a logging company and even with discounts couldn't get much better). And yes the covers are different b/t the auto and 5-spd

Seat

The seats in the junkyard, are grey full leather, but are really pretty rough. The guy wants $60.00 for the pair. I am not sure if the Passenger is power or not. The car is pretty stripped... I bought the motor and tranny out of it, the interior is pretty beat, but it may still have something that you want. Let me know I can keep a look out next time I'm there and let you know what the have.

I live outside of Cincinnati about an hour. A small town that has never seen a Super Coupe before :D called Peebles.

Back