Problem

Brandon

Ok, here's my problem. In the summer I bought a '91 SC...not running (rod through the block). I got another engine and rebuilt it and put it in the car a few weeks ago. It wouldn't start and I figured out it wasn't getting fuel (couldn't hear the fuel pump running). First I checked the fuse...not that. So I dropped the tank and pulled the pump out. I put a battery charger on it and it ran. So it's not the pump itself...although I do plan to upgrade. I disconnected the connector under the car and tested it (with the key on) and only one of the 4 pins light up. Is this normal??...I was thinking the one that lit up was for the guage. I also tested the inertia switch in the trunk. None of the three pins light up with the key on. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I have no idea what to look for!! Thanks!!

There is a fuel pump relay near the inertia switch. You might try replacing that. I believe it is green with 4 plugs, but the replacement could be any color with 4 or 5 plugs.

"I also tested the inertia switch in the trunk. None of the three pins light up with the key on. "

The inertia switch only has 2 wires a red and a white. Are you sure you were testing the right device? Have someone turn the ignition switch on and off while holding the fuel pump relay. That will tell you if it is turning on(although it won't tell you if the contacts are passing current).

Jeff

I checked the relay. I can't feel it clicking when someone else turns the key on. I also had a relay from another car (that did run) and tried it. Same deal...no clicking. Any ideas?

I think it is your fuel pump. I had one go out with similar problems.

See if you can run codes with a code reader. Start checking your grounds and fuses. There is a ground that goes on the back of the head (driver's side), There is a ground that attaches to one of the engine mount studs. Make sure your inertia switch is not tripped. Unplug the inertia switch wiring, and turn the key on. You should be getting close to 12v in one of the slots.

Fuel pump, relay, wiring problems

I have full set of Factory service manuals and wiring diagrams for the 91 super coupe; if you will let me know what diagrams you need, I will copy and mail to you.

Drop me an email with address to wynwesting@yahoo.com

Back