Cooling Fan

WVFox

I was wondering if any of you could help me. I have a 1989 T-Bird SC with a 5 speed. I was told when you turn the Air Conditioner on, the radiator cooling fan shoud come on. I have a new fan motor and a new relay but the fan does not come on when I turn the A/C on. Is this normal? If not, does someone have a wiring diagram on the cooling system they could e-mail me?
Also the front of the car makes a noise when driving above 10 mph, the noise stops when the steering wheel is turned a little. I raised the front of the car up and both front hubs seem to be tight and they rotate smoothly by hand. I haveln't removed either of them yet. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

The fan should come on when you have A/C on below a certain speed, i believe around 40mph and also when the coolent temp reaches around 220 F or there.
I had the exact same problem as you and replaced the motor and checked the relays and my fan still wasnt coming on. I kind of took the easy way out though and instead of figuring out what was wrong I just wired it directly to the battery and use a switch to turn it on and off at my leisure. I actually kind of like it more this way as I can control when the fan comes on as before it often came on when the temp gauge was reading rather high.

What relay did you replace? The fan is controlled by the Integrated Relay Control Module (IRCM) and is bolted to the rad support behind the pass side headlight.

The 89-90's are notorious for electrical problems. The IRCM, crank sensor, cam sensor, ABS parts, DIS module... etc etc. Plan on replacing them all sooner or later if you have a 89-90.

Rad Fan

I replaced the relay that is located on the firewall on passenger side. I've found from working on aircraft, the more intergrated the systems are, the more problems you will have. That is what scares me about this car!

Thanks for the help so far. Is there any way to check the IRCM?

WVfox

If you are new to the site and the car, you may wanna go to the FAQ and the new owners portion of the club. Also a good place to get helpfull knowledge is the TBSCEC.com, they also have an FAQ compiled of many maintnace procedures, and modifications.

Also if you do a search for your IRCM problem you will get a string of subject disussions on just that issue...

I was an Aircraft Mech as well...Hornets most of the time...These cars can make an Aircraft seem pretty simple at times...

cheers

Back