Cam Question

38SCPROJECT

Is the cam out of an automatic SC diffrent then a 5Sp car. I have 2 engines one manual and one auto.. and was wondering which cam would be best to install, since I am going to rebuild the motor before I drop it in.

Thanks
Tim

Manual trans cars have slightly more aggressive cams than auto's with the 89' manual being the most aggressive of all.

Jeff

I wouldnt go looking for a 89 manual camshaft, its only a few % bigger...lift etc, I doubt a dyno would even be able to pick up the gain:eek: , maybe at higher hp levels, but then why would you use a stock cam with much higher levels than stock:confused:

Go spend a couple hundred bucks

Take one of the cams down to have it reground for what you want. Cams don't really make power themselves, they just make it where you want it, so tell them everything about your car and what you want it to do. Weight, engine size, type of blower, gears, stall(if auto), primary purpose for car... They should be able to find a good grind for you. I don't think my cam made to much more power for me but it sure did place the power curve right where I wanted it and stretched out the usable rpm range. I pull from about 3000 all the way up to about 6500 with mine, in comparison to pulling from 2000 to 5500. We can't really even use 2000 to 2500 rpm range full power because of all the torque and when you're really on it it shifts into the next gear at around 3000-3500 anyway.

Back