Are my head gaskets a goner???

94 crimson SC

Ive got a stock 94 SC 5-speed with 110,000 miles. I have had the car for 5 years and within the last couple years have noticed that between oil changes, the coolant reservoir loses about half its coolant. Also when I floor the car at night I would see white smoke coming out of the tailpipes. I think I only noticed it at night because of the headlights behing me shining into it. Yesterday I changed the oil and while the oil seemed fine, the coolant was low and when I took the cap off to refill the oil, the inside of the cap had tan colored gew on it, which looked like old coolant.

Question 1- Have I caught a leaking head gasket in its early stages?

Question 2- If so, does Ford sell a kit for doing this job since I know its a chronic problem with these engines and how much is it?

Question 3- How long does it take to complete the job on an SC?

Question 4- How much does the repair cost at the dealer?

Sorry about all the questions, but your answers are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Question 1 - There are a few ways to check for a blown/leaky head gasket, such as check for hydrocarbons in the coolant, check for coolant in the oil, etc. Some things you can check easily would be to look for bubbles in the coolant tank, or smell the exhaust - does it have that sweet coolant smell? If you suspect something, might as well have the coolant/oil checked out.

Question 2 - Felpro makes the best replacement gasket set. With 110,000 miles, you will probably have to do a full rebuild.

Question 3 - There was no question 3!

Question 4 - Depends who is doing it.

Question 5 - Here's something you might want to say to yourself 10 or 20 times until it becomes your mantra: I will not take my SC to the dealer! Under no circumstances do you want Ford touching the car, unless it's a warranty repair.

Price can be anywhere from maybe $1000 to $6000 or more. Usually you get what you pay for in terms of performance and durability. Your best bet locally is with a performance shop. Or there are folks in the club who rebuild engines, you could post a "wanted" ad. You should also post on the Southern CA forum, I'm sure people there would know some good shops, or would be willing to help you out in exchange for some cheap beer. You can save a lot by doing much of the work yourself, and only having the machine work done in the shop.

Back