bad MAF sensor?????

pdennis93

my sc has been idling really ****** for the last few days and giving rich and lean codes for the o2's, i replaced my iac with another one, and replaced one of the o2s with a known good used one, and still it idled bad with the vac gauge running around 10 and would randomly stall .....BUT

al35th sc had me try something just now, unplug the MAF and run the engine...... the vac guage sits right at 20, the idle is pretty good although a little rich since the MAF is unplugged, and a constant CE light,

i let the car run like this for a few mins, then plugged in the MAF with the motor stil lrunning, POOF, it stalled within 3 seconds.

i also took the sc for a short drive with the maf unplugged and it didnt stall, didnt idle rough, and hte vac gauge was about at its normal position at 19-20

we checked the maf and it is clean , does this mean the maf is probably bad?

Did you check the voltage output from the MAF? If I remember right it's C&D. It should increase with engine speed.

NEVER EVER unplug a electronic device you don't know anything about. EVER NEVER.

Jeff

I'd try removing the sensor from the MAF and inspecting it real good. Clean it with brake parts cleaner and make sure the filaments are intact. You can test them with an ohmmeter for continuity. I don't think its necessary to disconnect the battery when plugging/unplugging this sensor, safer maybe, but I'd shut off the engine. You can get them at a junkyard as any Ford unit will work.

Back