Gears What to get?

95_5speed

Hey guys, I just bought a 95 5 speed and the axle code says it has 2:73 gears I think I want 3:55 but not sure any input, also with 3:55 what speedo gear do I need. The car has 90000 on it with origanal plugs and wires so I already ordered the kit with the plastic pullys from Super Coupe Performance, is their anything else I should do before moding the car.

Thanks

Most people with 5-speed SC Birds do not go with any more than 3.27 gears ...

Try using the "SEARCH" feature of this forum, this topic has been discussed in detail many times before ... this will give you all the pros and cons of changing your gear ratio without us having to type it all over again !! :)

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

I have a 95 5-speed and I think that given the torque of the 3.8 the 3:27 gears will be really good. This gets more important if you are going to modify the car. I have the stock gear set in my car and I wish that it was just a little bit steeper. I can run 2nd gear past 60 mph with ease before shifting.

My 5.0 supercharged Mustang has 3:55 gears and it is just ridiculous to even try to get traction. I did the gears before the supercharger on the Mustang. If I had known the amount of wheel spin that I was going to get on the 3:55's I would have opted for the 3:27 gearset. I do think that the 3:55's are the maximum as far as what I would think of as a "Streetable Gear".

Just my .02 Bob

I have 3.73 in my 93 5 speed and they are too much gear for the car. 3.27s are deffinitly the way to go.

Nick

95_5speed said:
The car has 90000 on it with origanal plugs and wires so I already ordered the kit with the plastic pullys from Super Coupe Performance, is their anything else I should do before moding the car.

Thanks

Yeah, flush the coolant, replace that plastic radiator, replace the belts, change the oil, power steering fluid (type F), trans fluid, differential lube, and brake fluid (DOT 3 only), have the exhaust resonater removed or replace the whole exhaust with a less restrictive one, check all points of connection in the intake system for loose clamps or fasteners, check the operation of the by-pass valve, have the injectors flushed, replace the fuel filter, and the fuel pump with a 155 lph unit (make sure to use a t-bird screen). tighten up the front sub-frame bolts, tighten the door hinges, check the tightness of all fasteners yes all, replace the front rotors and calipers with Mark 8 pieces and inspect the rears, inspect the motor mounts big time (under load with brakes and make sure the oil pans not rubbing that steel power steering line), inspect the front suspension and steering linkage for wear, inspect the drive shaft for warp or out of line u-joints (good to do while the tank is lowerd but still hooked up), inspect the rear half shafts, inspect the tires and their speed ratings, balance, damage etc. Do these for safetys sake and preventative maintainence then feel free to mod away. Based on mucho experiance. Also carefully set the gap on new plugs to 0.045, the stock setting is to much for boost, this is free HP. First mods you should make: raised top, free flowing inlet system, aluminum flywheel and new clutch (stock from Ford), 3.27 or 3.55 gears (rebuild the traction-lok), underdrive pulleys along with a new crank damper from Ford (have the two balanced together before install) new crank bolt and install a new crank sensor while it's easy to get to, might as well put on a cam sensor or you'll be asking all sorts of questions about that problem soon enough.

Then and only then would someone who really had their act together, doesn't like beating their head against the wall, doesn't want to make post about how much they hate their car, and is willing to listen to the wise start going for the "GOOD" stuff. Injectors, blower overdrive, throttle body, intercooler, heads, cam, rockers headers, and a tuner board (or custom chip), ported tubes stroker kit, what ever.

If you think this is overkill start looking through this board, and don't even fool yourself to think you're immune. At least half if not all of this will bite your butt the second you jump in head first.

Here's a joke from Texas for you. Two bulls were standing in a field talking, one young and full of fire the other old and wise. The young bull is looking across the fence at a field full of cows ripe for the taking. He says to the old bull, "Why don't we run across the field, tear down that fence, and chase down one of those cows?" The old bull looks at him with a smile and answers slowly, "Why don't we walk down to the gate, walk back on their side, and have all of those cows?" I hope you get my point. I've been having to tell people what to do the hard way, after much confusion and money spent, for years now.

Vernon

Last edited:
i really dont underatand gears that well and i have 1 question cause im in the market for gears as well, i have an 89 sc with stock gears so im guessing 3.73 ... now if i was to get 3.27's.. that would bring my rpms down "in other words higher top speed" ??? and if that happens will that give me better highway gas milage cause the engine rpm is lower?

If you have stock gears: Automatic 3:27, manual 2:73.
You are correct. If you had 3.73 and changed to 3.27 then you rpm would be lower on the highway, but if your gears are stock, which I think they are then you would not have 3.73.

Nick

Back