More on Spark Plugs... torquemaster??

plev72

Hey all, sorry to be beating the spark plug issue to death, but considering it is going to be pushing $90 for plugs that I don't REALLY need...

So it looks like the deal is as follows,

NGK Iridium iX +/- $9.00

Denso Iridium (IT22) +/- $12.00 +sh

and now

Torquemaster $14.50 +sh

Does anyone know anything about the centerfire torquemaster plugs? Apparently they are supposed to last for ever, but I did not get any performance info from the company when I requested it. Also, does someone have a decent place to get the Densos from?? I've been all over the net and found them for $11.39 a piece - but once they gouged for the **** didn't end up being any kind of a deal. Does anyone have decent comparison charts for the NGK vs. DENSO vs. TORQUEMASTER vs. double platinum ... blah blah... I can't believe none of the car mags have done a decent comparo? Maybe I should write them a letter?

Happy Holidays,
Paul

I run Densos and they have been perfect for 15000 miles, so far. However, they will have to last quite a bit longer for me to feel they are worth the high cost. Seems the Motorcraft double plats might be the best bang for the buck.

I'm going to try the torquemaster plugs

I just ordered a set for the SC. I ordered the "s" type for supercharged applications at 1 range colder than stock. They should be in by this tuesday. I will let you know how these perform later this week.

Randy-

cool, I think I'm going to end up going with the NGK for now - only because they are available locally. Perhaps the next time the car gets taken apart I'll switch to different plugs.

torquemaster install update

so far i have had them in for a couple of days and they seem to do what they claim as far as a more consistent spark and unleash more hp at higher rpms. the only thing is that i ordered them one heat range cooler than stock and i think my idling is a tad more rough, but not bad enough to object. if anyone does these plugs for the SC, get them at stock heat range. they are about $115 including overnight shipping, ask for the "s" type plugs. i got them cooler because i was having a detonation problem with the motorcraft awsf34pp's center electrode blistering out.

Anyway there's no more detonation and the car feels stonger in the mids and high rpms (seat of pants), don't know if it really is though. so far i'm happy with them, only time will tell- i may get a stock heat range set later though. they seem to be pretty nice in terms of performance and i like the idea of plugs that you will never have to replace ever again. it was an extreme pain changing the plugs- makes you want to get rid of the SC. i think it's actually easier to change the headgasket than to change plugs on these cars.

Randy

Torquemaster

Changing plugs isn't that bad after you've done it a few times. That's assuming that the motor mounts aren't bad! Took me 6 hours the first time and now I can do it in about 45 minutes. Anyway, I installed a set of Torquemasters in 1996 and I couldn't stand the rough idle. They seemed to work OK in the power range but I pulled them after 1000 miles (because of the idle) and went back to the trusty Motorcrafts (AWSF34PP). I had better a idle with the infamous Splitfires than the Torquemasters. Supposedly, the Torquemasters weren't compatible with our Distributorless Ignition System but maybe they have changed that...

I just found out

They still need to do more development on these. you're right, the idle is still rough. I think that our DIS ignitions only like the single electrodes because when i pulled mine out i saw evidence that it did not fire evenly.

I pulled all mine out and put autolite double platinums in- works fine now.

I'll try the denso's or ngk iridiums next time- hear alot of good things about these.

Back