Exhaust temperatures to high

jorgehernan

I need some help. I got a Mustang V6 1996 with an Eaton supercharger on it. I also have all the SC 1991 tensioners and belts. I installed 36Lph Injectors, polished and ported heads, .216-.226 camshaft, 8.5:1 forged pistons, 65mm TB, 80MM MAF, computer tune up by Fordchip.com, 255Lph fuel pump, dual 2.25" exhaust, K&N air filter, SC 1991 intercooler, 3.73 rear end and other minors mods. I installed an EGT sensor after de headers and I am getting 1,600 Grades Fahrenheit at 5,200 RPM. I am afraid of melting my pistons. Is this exhaust temperature ok or I have something wrong? Also I need someone to tell me or send me by email where can I see a diagram or pictures of the hoses and vacuums connections for the supercharger inlets. Please help me with those matters.
Thanks
Jorge:(

Yes I am using an Intercooler (the original). I live in Costa Rica so I sent my mods written and the computer. I do not know the dyno values ay 5,200RPM.
Thanks

Hola Jorge,

Haber si puedo ayudar :) First off how much boost are you getting? and Second, did the people at Ford chip send you any more information? Third, who designed this for you?

Al

I need some help. I got a Mustang V6 1996 with an Eaton supercharger on it. I also have all the SC 1991 tensioners and belts. I installed 36Lph Injectors, polished and ported heads, .216-.226 camshaft, 8.5:1 forged pistons, 65mm TB, 80MM MAF, computer tune up by Fordchip.com, 255Lph fuel pump, dual 2.25" exhaust, K&N air filter, SC 1991 intercooler, 3.73 rear end and other minors mods. I installed an EGT sensor after de headers and I am getting 1,600 Grades Fahrenheit at 5,200 RPM. I am afraid of melting my pistons. Is this exhaust temperature ok or I have something wrong? Also I need someone to tell me or send me by email where can I see a diagram or pictures of the hoses and vacuums connections for the supercharger inlets. Please help me with those matters.

Thnaks Al. I am getting 11 psi of boost. I am not getting more because my camshaft. I was using 30Lph injectors and and C&L 73mm MAF. The people from Forchip were the ones that told me I had to change the injectors for 36Lph (the ones I am using now) and the MAF (80mm now). After that they sent me a chip twice and it did not work so I sent my computer to be tuned up and now I am using it. I already talked to them and they said the computer setups are ok that maybe I have some vacuum leaks. But I check all the vacuum hoses and they are ok. I seted the fuel regulator at 40psi like they told me. The mayor problem is when I hit the pedal and get the first psi of boost (like 4psi). Now I installed an extra 30Lph injector to begging at 3 or 4 psi or boost to help but it is working more or less. I still have some exhaust temperatures problems. Maybe I have to much compression ratio because I machined the heads .020". I do not know what else can I do. The idea of installing these stuff to my car is a project. I saw an similar project on the internet. If you can help me I will appreciate. Sorry about my English.By the way, Do you have some vacuum diagrams or do you know where I can find them. Just to check again my vacuum hoses conecctions.
Thanks again
Jorge:)

Last edited:
Exhaust temp. to high

Iam no expert but high exhaust temp. is a good indication of a lean condition. I drive a truck for a living and it has a pyrometer. It also has a big red line at 1050 degrees. 1600 sounds really high. Are you getting enough fuel. What do your plugs look like? Tim

I do not think so. They told me to chaneg to 36Lph injectors and I did. I also using a 255Lph fuel pump. I also installed an extra 30Lph injector. So I do not know what esle I can do. I need some installation diagrams of the vacuums hoses. Could someone send me those please??.
Jorge

why dont you hop on a dyno with a wideband o2 so we can see your A/F ratio....

That would also help the chip programmers

chris

JUST A THOUGHT

I am no expert by far. But, when we change injectors on our SUperCoupes, we have to re-calibrate our MAFs to trick out computers to adjust for Air/Fuel mixture. Could this be the problem and causing a lean/rich condition?

Jonathan

I am no expert by far. But, when we change injectors on our SUperCoupes, we have to re-calibrate our MAFs to trick out computers to adjust for Air/Fuel mixture. Could this be the problem and causing a lean/rich condition?

NO NO NO! That is why your not an expert. Sorry, but to tune a car correctely, you make the proper adjustments in the EEC for the Injector Size. I'm assuming you had fordchips do that correct? And also programmed the EEC for the new 80mm Maf?

Chris

p.s. THE EEC IS THE ONLY PLACE THAT STORES INJECTOR SIZE/PULSWIDTH. TRYING TO FOOL THE EEC WITH DIFFERENT SAMPLING TUBES VIA. SAMPLING TUBES IS BAD. Although it works ok sometimes, it will mess up some of the fuel/load tables.

exhaust temp

1600 isn't all that hot. If the plugs look ok and you not gettin any tiny black specks on the ceramic, your probably ok. do you know what the temps were before the chang?

Thanks

Thanks for validating my lack of expertees :)

I did the sampling tube thing. How do I go about geting my EEC reprogramed? (I don't even know what or where my EEC is..)
If you want, email me off the list so we don't get too off-subject on this thread)

Thanks again,
Jonathan

Thanks to all. The EEC was programmed to all the changes including the injectors and the MAF. The plugs look to be ok but I will check them again. The problem is the I saw somewhere that the turbo or supercharger exhaust temperature does not have to be more than 1,500 F. So that is why I am worry. Also the motor seems to be too hot. It feels too hot (not the water temp, this is ok). You can feel the heat when you stand next to the front part of the car. So I do not know if this is normal. About the TB size, well my TB stock size was 54mm. By the way, does somebody has supercharger hoses vacuums installation diagrams?? Or the diagrams that shows how to connect the vacuums that goes in the supercharger inlets?? I need to check those stuff (for the 1992 or 1993 SC)
Thanks
Jorge

Last edited:
1: For an EGT to read correctly, it should be installed within a couple of inches of the head. Your readings now are low due to the location of the sensor.

2: 1600 is ok only for very short periods of time. If you do not have forged pistons, they will melt if you continue to run it like that. I see no more than 1500 in my car ( measured 1.5" from the head).

3: Your injectors are marginal. I would recommend 42lb injectors.

4: Fuel rail mounted adjustable pressure regulators are not reliable. You are much better off with the stock SC regulator. The vaccum line from the regulator MUST be connected to the pressurized side of the supercharger. Usually right into the return plenum to the intake manifold.

5: You NEED a fuel pressure gauge. The more accurate the better. These are expensive but worth it. You MUST verify that you are seeing an increase in fuel pressure under boost that is exactly equal with your boost pressure. 40 psi is the correct reference pressure (with the vaccum line removed).

6: Your compression ratio is not your problem, nor is your boost level. Is your knock sensor still installed and connected?

7: The 30lb extra injector is not the solution. I'd take it out.

8: Your TB is fine for now.

9: I do not have the vaccum diagrams, but there are very few required. There are two on the TB side of the supercharger, one for the PCV and one for the charcoal canister. There are 3 on the pressure side of the SC. One for the fuel pressure regulator, one for the boost gauge, and one for the supercharger bypass. All other vaccum connection are not necessary for it to run. All others can simply be plugged off. Someone correct me if I missed one.

You are obviously running lean, and this is dangerous if you keep it up. A dyno session would help to pinpoint the problem, but it is not necessary. The first and most important thing I think you need to work on is verifying fuel pressure.

Good luck!

Dave's advice is excellent, do exactly what he said. I just wanted to add this, are you using catalatic converters? I have used an EGT guage on an SC right where the collector entered the downpipe. With that location the radiant heat from the catalyst was really hot, it melted my sender in fact, but the high temps and readings were not caused by the engine tune only the catalyst functions.

Vernon

Thanks. I got the 36Lph injectors because these are the ones that Forchip.com recommend me to install with my mods. So I inatalled thos for that reazon. I do not know about that. About the EGT, it is connected just between the headers and the cat. I think you called that colector where thya headers come together in one tube. Yes, I am using Ross Forged pistons and moly rings. I found a vacuum leak on the intercooler plug with thye inlet that comes from the SC. I seald it but I will try tomorrow and see what happend. I also will draw how I have the vacuums install and I will scann it and try to post it here. So please check later or tomorrow to tell me if I am right or If I have to change something. I appreciate all your help.
Thanks
Jorge:(

Dave or Vernon maybe you can send me an email so I can send you back a draw with the vacuums hoses I have connected. Just to tell me if I pluged the vacuums ok or I have to change something. By the way, Is the big black hose that connect boht inlets (the one that goes from the TB to the SC with the one that goes from the IC to the Intake Manifold) the only one?? I am asking this because I have another one (a little one) coneccted from the Intake plenum to the Inlet plenum (the one from the TB to the SC). Is this correct too? Or I have to close those vacuums and not connect each other. Last one, What is the knock sensor. Do I have to remove or not??
Jorge:D

Email: jorgehernan_1999@yahoo.com

I need you to send a picture of what you're describing. You can find information and email by clicking on another persons name. Mine is ManicV6Mechanic@wmconnect.com.

The knock sensor detects detonation. Detonation is when the fuel and air self ignites before the spark fires, in a cylinder. It is caused by excessive cylinder pressure and or excessive cylinder heat. Boost = pressure and Lean = Heat. It is on the pass side of the block in front of the starter. Knock is the sound you hear if you burn low octane fuel in a high performance engine.

Jorge please answer this question: Are your catalatic converters near the EGT sensor and still working? You may not have a lean air/fuel mixture. It may be the cat putting off heat to your EGT gauge.

Vernon

Yes Vernon I am using two cats. One in each side. The EGT is located between the colector (where the headers come together) and the cat. Is this a problem??
Jorge:)

Back