PDA

View Full Version : my engine any comments?

moody moodz
12-26-2002, 08:40 PM
For those that don't know .. on Dec 21st ( my birthday for those that are keepin score....
I have thrown a rod in my 94 3.8L SC I was told to replace the engine with the same type in and out would cost me roughly about 3k. And it would take about a week to replace.. is that a great deal or should I try and find an engine that is cheaper...

If I do get this engine is there anything I should right off the bat to make it a better engine? If so let me know please....

Moody Moodz

tim
12-26-2002, 09:12 PM
Thats not a bad price. It is a lot of work to pull in and out. I assume that is with a stock rebuild. If money permits it would be a good time for a set of headers and exhaust. Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go? Tim.

moody moodz
12-26-2002, 09:19 PM
well I am not looking to be the fast bird out there just a bird that can handle it's self on the road or track...something that will eat some of those cocky mustang owners....

Moody Moodz

tim
12-26-2002, 09:24 PM
If that is your goal I would do headers exhaust and some good bolt ons. If the engine has a lot of miles on it when it went I would also look into a blower rebuild. These cars respond well to minor changes. Tim

vancouverBC
12-27-2002, 02:52 AM
Get a break down for both parts and labor so you know exactly what you're getting. I agree that exhaust upgrades are an excellent idea. What problems were you having before you throew the rod?

BlackbirdSC
12-29-2002, 10:01 PM
Are they rebuilding yours or getting another one? If they're getting another one, ask to see the motor before it goes in. The SC block and heads have an 'SC' cast into them (front & rear of block and top of head). Having some mild port work done to the heads will help tremendously (in the 40 HP range with stock valves) and better springs. The stock springs are lame. Next up would be a reground cam.

Also, if they're getting you another engine, I want your old one. I need another spare (have the original in running condition in a bag and a spare block & crank, but always need more) Where are you in the north east? I'm sure I could find someway to get it here.

Later,
Steve

Boss_232
12-30-2002, 05:02 PM
If BlackbirdSC decides he doesn't want to come down to NC to get that engine, I'd be interested in entering negotiations for its purchase.

Email me at:

[email protected]

I am in Mebane, NC