How To Do A Clutch

SweetnLow91

Hey guys, my clutch is gone in my 91 5spd and I am looking for info on how to exactly replace the clutch and what parts I will need to do this! Thanks for any input

The basics.. pull the transmission, replace the clutch.

You'll want a new clutch and turn the flywheel.

The only special tool you might want would be the Ford tool for disconnecting the hydraulic line to the slave cylinder.

You might also want to replace the slave cylinder while you have it apart. It's a pain to replace and if you have over 100,000 miles it could fail at any time. So many choose to do it during the clutch replace.

hopefully someone else can be more specific on the details of the transmission removal.

Well where shall I begin? As stated earlier you ahve to remove the tranny and definately replace the slave cylinder while it's out. To remove the tranny, you have to remove all 4 bolts on the rear gear housing and tilt it downwards. Then you can slide the driveshaft out of the tranny. The only other option is to pull the gas tank and exhaust (the front half is bolted to the tranny and it is much easier if you just drop the whole thing). After that, remove the top section of your console and the shifter knob. There are 4 bolts that hold up the rubber boot over the shifter and then 4 bolts that hold the shifter in. Remove them. You can remove the clutch line without any special tools. Simply use a flat tip screwdriver to push in the plastic ring sticking out of the fitting and pull the line out (took me forever to figure that out). Then there are 8 bolts total that hold the trans in place. 2 on the bottom of the oil pan and 6 in the block itself (the 2 on top are a pain if your SC and inlet are still on mine weren't so it wasn't bad). Remove those, secure the trans and slide it back (if you have the space for a trans jack I would recommend it) until it clears the clutch. I didn't have the room for one and had to use a floor jack and bricks to support the trans. Move the trans out of the way for now. There are 6 bolts holding the pressure plate on to the flywheel and then 6 more holding the flywheel to the crank. The slave cylinder is mounted inside the belhousing of the trans. 2 bolts hold it in and it just slips off of the input shaft. If you're planning on any mods, now would be a great time to get an aluminum flywheel or performance clutch. Make sure you get new bolts for the flywheel (not sure why but everything I've seen so far says to). I've just recently pulled my trans and have a service manual sitting here so if you need any help let me know.

Back