clutch differences?

nervekiler

hey i am tryin to learn about clutches. ive searched a bit and read all the new clutch and flywheel posts on the technical forums but i still havent found what im looking for.

what is the difference between a 11.5" clutch and a 11" clutch? i know its obviously bigger, but what kinda performance difference? would it be better to go with a 11.5" clutch? thats what seems better cause its bigger, but i figured i would ask.

and also, would the 11.5" clutch make it harder to push in the clutch pedal than the 11"?

i know 89-93 come stock with 11" and the 94-95 come with 11.5"

im buying a 1990, but i dont know how to drive a stick very well, so im sure i will need a new clutch pretty soon. so that is why im asking.

everyone talks about centreforce clutches, are they really that good? thanks in advance for the help

Centerforce Clutches are a proven aftermarket performance clutch. There are others, but they are pricey and don't have the history.

The later model cars have higher horsepower so they put a larger clutch in to keep things working. Is a 11" clutch too small? For under 300hp, probably not. The main difference is the surface area available to provide grip to the flywheel surface. More surface area, more power that can be harnessed to transfer.

Higher pedal effort is related to the springs in the clutch pack. If a 11.5" clutch has higher effort, that may simply mean that they had to go to the larger housing design shared with even larger disks. But since our's is a hydrualic clutch, pedal effort should be much less of an issue as it was when they were all cable actuated.

ok thanks, i understand now. so a centerforce 11.5" is probably what ill go with since i have dreams of a 350RWHP montser. lol

thank you mike, i was gettin worried no one would reply to this thread because this question is asked over and over again. thanks. happy new year

The new SC owner Forum just doesn't get the traffic like the Tech and Non-Tech section.

I'm trying to remind myself to check here once and a while.

Thanks.

I have a '95 5-speed, i just had my tranny rebuilt about 7 months ago. While it was all out and taken apart i bought a McLeod Lightweight Aluminum flywheel and a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch which i believe is the 11.5" since i have a '95. I love the grip of that clutch, you just have to break it in before you test the performance of it, and i love the pull in the upper RPMs with that aluminum flywheel. In my opinion, its a great combination and I love it. (i also threw in a B&M ripper, much more fun!!!)

Back