Abs System Problem

Bob Reaser

My 1992 SC, 97,500 mi., began a vibration on the brake petal near the end of a recent trip. When the ignition was turned off, a loud vibration sound came from the brake cylinder area. After 1-2 minutes, it stopped. I noticed the wiring harness connection from the brake cylinder to the driver's side shock tower was connected around the outside of the hood support cylinder, and that the raising of the hood had put strong tension on the wiring. I lowered the hood enough to disconnect the wiring connector, and reconnected it inside the hood support cylinder.

All power is off, no dome light, no key buzzer, no start. The battery is a new HD Motorcraft, fully charged.

I have the Brown Pump Relay to replace, but are there other components to check since the battery is fully changed, but there is no power? Suggestion, help??

If you have no power at all, that wouldn't be due to the ABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU).
First off, clean your battery terminals and the inside of the clamps with steel wool. Then check for power at the starter relay with a voltmeter. The starter relay is the black terminal just behind the fuse box and in front of the washer fluid reservoir.
After that, check for any blown fuses in the main fuse box just behind the battery.
I don't know what would have caused the vibration you described but you obviously have to have the power problem fixed before you can do anything more.:)

Back