Some exhaust questions

black94tbirdsc

I am preparing to take the plunge and upgrade my 94 SC auto exhaust system.:eek:

I am looking at changing the exhaust manifolds with the 2000 Mustang v6 headers or possibly the MAC shortys. I understand that some mods are needed on the driver side collector to clear the steering shaft, but are there any other things that need attention?:confused:

I remember reading on this forum something about the O2 sensor on the passenger side facing the wrong way. Is this correct? And if so, how do I over come this dlemma?

After this issue is solved, I plan using 2.25 down tubes/ cats to a Magnaflow resonator, 3"- 2.50 to a Dynomax 2.5 cat back.

Does this sound somewhat reasonable for a a more aggressive, but not offensive sound?

I also plan on putting a 10% OD blower pulley on at a later time, as well as a raised top, so I want to get rid of this $%^*) exhaust. Just replaced head gaskets 8 months ago:mad:

Thanks for the input:p

The 2000 manifolds suck, you would be better off with ported stockers. The '94-'95 3.8 Mustang headers are much better, it's a real 3 into 1 header with 1.5" primarys and a larger (5.0 size) collecter. You would need to have the drivers side collecter cut off, rotated about 180', then matched up to custom downtubes, and rewelded at the best angle. The pass side would just need the larger down tube. The o2 and EGR fittings are the same on these.

Use 2.5" down tubeing. Matches the older collecter better anyways. With the blower low end torque is taken care of but top end HP (flow) needs all the help it can get.

Use a 3" resonater and single pipe. The 2.5" Dynomax cat back sounds good. They also offer a resonater that matches up to their system but I'm not sure of the inlet diameter as it probably is stock sized.

This will sound mellow, there but not offensive, at idle but mean under the boost.

I run these headers on my 1983 Four barrel 3.8 Mustang along with a 2.5" BBK off-road H-pipe, no resonater and a dynomax 2.25 duals. Without a blower, my big ported SC heads, Morana cam, and the 2.5 inch H-pipe It's got stock (crappy) torque until 3200 but comes on like gangbusters until I run outa tach. With the blower boosting low end torque you'll have the best of both worlds with the larger pipes. The Mustang sounds 5.0 until the tach is in the big numbers with the Holley kicked in, then it gets raspy, or V6 crappy. Run a good resonator to keep it deep and low under boost.

Vernon

Okay, thanks for the reply. I didn't know the earlier stang headers would work. Doesn't sound too difficult to do. Now if I can just find 'em...:confused:

Here's a hot tip for finding anything at a salvage yard near you. www.car-part.com , but remember they will call them exhaust manifolds, not headers :) They are the hot ticket for low buck upgrading.

Vernon

Back