Making your SC "new" again: Share some tips & ideas

JAFO

Thought that some of us could share a few ideas, tricks, tips for restoring or detailing the cars.

Cloth Shaving (especially for the tweed interior):
Something I did made a nice difference in my '91. For Christmas, I got a "garment groomer" which is like an electric razor for your clothes. Like a Norelco shaver or something, it shaves the stray strands. Worked great on my tweed seats! Just took off some of the loose strands and made it feel neat and clean. Same for the doors, in the tweed inserts and the carpet along the bottom. Made a huge difference on the rear of the front seats, at the bottom, which is carpet-like, where the rear passenger's feet had been rubbing that part of the front seats. It was pretty scruffy looking, but the shaver cleaned it up nice and neat. Seats and everything feel smooth and tight again.

Shifter Knob:
Like I saw mentioned here before, the 2001-03 Mustang 5 spd shifter knob made a huge difference in driving feel. My SC's got the gray interior, dark gray dash, and the slightly off-black color of the knob is a really good match. Not quite as black as the boot, but does match some of the gray in the car. Could probably have it dyed if need be to be black. Cost: $31 at dealership.

Carpet Cleaner on the doors:
Kind of obvious, but it made a nice difference cleaning up. Spot cleaner spray on the carpet section, tweed and even the speaker grille cloth. Then, the shaver.

General cleaning:
Use a cloth wax applicator pad for the interior vinyl protectant (armor all, whatever) rather than spraying directly. Works better than applying with a rag and you don't get the overspray messing up the windshield. Not too glossy either.

Just a few ideas, probably stating the obvious.

to make your car look better, take a can of clear paint and pour it on your neigbors car when its raining, they'll be in for a surprise when the day clears up, this should make your car the envy of everyone on your block:D

Back