cracked head!!!!!

storey

i bought my 93sc(110k on the clock) from a dealership 1month ago and after i flushed the cooling system i started leaking coolant from passengerside head. i pulled of the oil cap and saw a some milky white oil on it. i am pretty sure the head is cracked. can anything else cause this?
i dont have the skill to do a head job so i will be taking it somewhere to have it done and i figure for the cost of the job i should go ahead and have the engine rebuilt.
does anyone know of a good engine rebuild shop in northcarolina(as close to fort bragg(fayettville) as possable)?
how much should i expect to pay for an engine rebuild?
is their any uprades i should get done to the engine while it is taken apart.

thanks

storey

Could be the head gasket, they are the usual suspect. They are reinforced with steel mesh and without good fresh coolant it rusts away quickly.

i believe that it is the head due to the leak is on the top front of the head. is there a way to tell the differance between a cracked head and a blown head gasket?

storey

Did the dealership offer any kind of used car warranty?

I think it is a blown headgasket or warped head.

If leaking from the front passenger head area, it could be the front cover leaking to the ground or into the oil.

nope no warrenty, i bought the car as is. also there is no coolant in the oil itself (at least not yet) but their is coolant mixed with oil on the oil fill cap which is on the head that is leaking.

is there any kind of recall on these cars like the plastic intake cracking recall on the 4.6l tbirds?

storey

Storey, is it leaking at the intake gasket where the coolant passage runs across the front of the intake manifold and goes into the front top corner of the head, under the oil filler neck? If so then you will only need new gaskets. Not a small job but much smaller than head gaskets or a rebuild.

Vernon

i will have to check tomorrow when it is daylight again. hopefully i will have more info.

later

storey

Why dont you take it to a shop and have them look at it. They can pressure test the cooling system and pinpoint the leak. It may be a intake gasket.

sounds like a good idea. monday i will go to a shop and let them figure out what the problem is and then i will fix it myself.

storey

Hey, got some advice...........

:confused:

I would approach the dealership and tell them you have contacted your lawyer and you just wanted to make sure they can do nothing to fix the car.

Seems to me that they knew something was wrong with it and was selling it to you.

I know that these cars have a history of head gaskets problems and the only way to solve it is to get into it.

The head usually don't crack unless they are overheated. Usually just a head gasket problem.

Good luck,

Don

Back