Alignment, now pulls right on braking--related?

JAFO

Had a 4 wheel alignment done on Thurs, noticed today that when I brake it quickly pulls to the right a bit. Not too drastic, not real jerky, but it's there. Not on braking at low speeds, or at least not that I can tell. Could the pads have worn unevenly when the alignment was off resulting in this? It pulled left before the alignment (driving, not braking). If so, this may correct itself soon. I don't see how I could now need to bleed the brakes just due to alignment, or no real causes. Anyone experienced this?

Assuming that the alignment was done correctly, I'd check the pads for oil contamination. Also check that the calipers move smoothly without binding. Do this on all 4 wheels. Lastly, try swapping the right pads to the left. If the pads are bad, replace both sets, and have the rotor turned, or at least clean them with brake cleaner and a fine steel brush. You want to get the grime out of the grooves.

Bill when I run into these symtoms at work (I'm a mechanic) it's usually a bad shock. With the ARC on norm bounce the front end by hand on each side, the side that pulls should have a weak shock. Also you can get up to about 30-40 on a deserted wide road and swerve back and forth, you should notice more suspension travel on the weaker side. If none of this plays out take the wheel off the side opposite the pull and inspect the brake hose for swelling, softness, cracks, or blisters.

Vernon

Thanks for the suggestions. I recently checked the shocks, but I'll give the driving test a shot to be sure. I was kind of wondering about the brake lines too, need to check those to be sure. It's just that it happened so suddenly, within a day, for such a noticeable change. I'll get in there with some brake cleaner too. The pads aren't very worn down, last I checked, so maybe there's something in there contaminating the contact. Hope that's all it is.

Could be a tire that has worn a little on one side, I would switch a tire from the rear or the other side and see if it pulls that way. I just had an aligment done and it pulled to the left. They switched the front left to the front right, then it pulled to the right. Then we switched the rear with the right front and now there is no more problem. Straight as an arrow!

Cheers,
Calvin

make sure your wheels are straight and push the front of the front tire back with your foot, and then from the back of the front tire push it forward, if ANY movement happens check for torn inner strut rod bushings.

Back