I need a new head need some advice

1990_Tbird_SC

Ok thanks to a idiot who owned this SC before me a intake manifold bolt broke off in the head and while trying to repair it drilled a hole into one of the ports :( anyway where should i look for pricing on a new or reman one or can a machine shop repair it. Turns out that somebody has messed with the head gaskets before and they screwed up quite a few things but what can you expect when you pay 500Bucks for a car like this :D

Any help/advice would be appricated

Thanks

Fellow unamed poster, here's what I know. The head can be repaired by Heli-arc welding but the new threads will not even be strong enough for the 15 ft.lbs. of torque required. The heads though aluminum are a specially hardend alloy, whereas the welded section will be dead soft aluminum. So repairing holes or cracks may work but any time it's going to be a stressed area forget it. If it wasn't supercharged I wouldn't worry but that intake will try to blow off with 12 PSI.

Start looking here www.car-part.com for another SC head to rebuild, oh and if you do one you might as well do the other or it's head gasket will blow a month after you get it running (just a good guess).

Vernon

shameless plug

If you just need one head, I have a spare.
40 + about 10 for shipping.

take care,

'bird

Back