Auto tranny shifting too long... help!!!

Betoglez

I recently took my car for a brake pads replacement. The brakes are ok now. However I noticed that the tranny is making the shifts "too late", this is, you hear the revs notoriously high when the next gear comes in. Actually, at cruise speed, the overdrive gear does not engage unless you release a little bit the accelerator.

I put the car in the computer and got no bad codes. Took the car for a transmision check & oil change and the problem persist.
A friend told us that there is a way to change the shifting setting, however he didn't know how to do it.

Do you know how to change the way the auto tranny is shifting?

Thanks.

Check to make sure your TV cable is still attached. It is attached to the throttle linkage on you throttle body. It is the black plastic end cable. If it's still connected, you may want to try adjusting it. Go to www.tccoa.com and in the transmission section of their tech articles, there is an article on adjusting it.

That's it!!

You were right.
The TV cable adjustment is Ok, however the little plastic washer that locks the linkage to the throttle body was broken and the TV cable pin was loose.
I just custom made another plastic washer and now tranny is Ok again.

Thanks for your help.

Thats one of the bigger prodlems with AOD trannys. The plastic clip will break and the TV cable will come off, running it long without the TV cable will kill it. Make sure your custom clip isn't going to come off either. I had a friend with an 88 5.0L Bird and that was his problem too.

How exactly did you fix it? Mine broke off and I just used a cable-tie to replace it. I'm worried about this breaking in the future, or that maybe it's not adjusted right.

Go to the dealer. The parts department will give you a new rubber groumet or buy the upgraded metal clip and sleeve. No more than a couple of dollars. Don't WAIT for this to fail. This is one of those situations were a $.10 item can cost you $1000.

Shockwave said:
Go to the dealer. The parts department will give you a new rubber groumet or buy the upgraded metal clip and sleeve. No more than a couple of dollars. Don't WAIT for this to fail. This is one of those situations were a $.10 item can cost you $1000.

Problem is, they dont just sell the rubber grommet and I cant find the upgraded metal clip thing. I'd have to buy a whole new spring assembly... $80.

$2.00 fix

For vehicles equipped with AOD TV linkage Ford had a recall 93B31 -Owner Notification Program - Replacement of Throttle Body Lever grommet on Certain 1987 Through 1993 Passenger Cars Equipped With Automatic Overdrive Transmissions. Part # F3SZ-7H303-B Kit, Throttle Body Lever Bushing

Throttle Body Lever Grommet Replacement Procedures

1. Pull the TV cable/rod trunnion out of the throttle body lever grommet.

2. Remove and discard the urethane grommet from the throttle body lever.

3. Place the new brass bushing in the throttle body lever by inserting the smaller diameter section into the lever. The large diameter should be on the TV cable side of the throttle body lever.

Insert the trunnion of the TV rod completely into the brass bushing and install the retaining clip in the groove of the TV rod trunnion.

Back