Ignition Problem

das90sc87tc

I am getting an intermittent firing problem.I just put on a new coil, it worked a little but soon acted the same. Somtimes it will start right up,but won't idle real well;then it just dies and gives no fire from the plug wires.Any helpwould be appriciated.The car is a 90 35th super coupe w/a automatic

I could be way off base here but could it be a cam or crank sensor? The EEC may be getting intermittent signals from them. Just a thought.

:)

I put on a new cam sensor a few months back,that is the one where the distributor would be if it had one, right.Is there any way to check the crank trigger? I thought that was just a magnetic pickup.How could it go bad, and if it did wouldn't it be complete and not partial?

There are people here who are way more knowledgeable than I on ignition problems. Have you pulled EEC codes? You may have a code in memory telling you the problem. If you don't have a code checker, you can do it like this: http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/Tips/EECSelfTest.htm

You have things like the idle speed control solenoid and such that could be causing your intermittent problem. I wish I could help you more. I'm interested to know what the cause is too.

Good luck.

Back