Oil Pressure too high?????

fastsc92

I just hooked up my autometer oil press. gauge, and its reading 60 psi at idle when its cold. Why is the pressure high? Should it be this high....or is this what these motors run at? It has 5w-30 full synthetic mobil. The temp around here is about 35deg. Any input? SHould i be worried?

oil pressure too high?

Does the pressure go down after the car warms up? It doesnt seem to high on a real cold day with a cold engine. Tim

not sure yet....i havent had the car running for more than 3 min. Just been busy with other things on it. I'll let ya know soon though.

That's totally normal. The stock 89-93 relief spring is set for ~60-65PSi. Meaning, as the motor revs up and pumps more oil, it opens a passage to dump the excess and keep the oil pressure at 60-65. If it were stuck closed, it would go higher and higher as the motor revved (like 80-100)

My stock motor was 50-60 at cold idle, then 30ish hot idle and 60-65 hot running (2000 rpm). The new motor with a 95 pump and slightly higher bearing clearances (10w30 winter 10w40 summer) cold idles at 70+, hot idle 40-50 and hot running 65-75.

If it drops below 20-25 PSi at idle or goes over 80 PSi running when hot, then you have issues.

Later,
Steve

ok here is what the gauge is reading. At cold idle it stays at 60psi. And cold driving it stays about 65. At warm idle it stays about 35psi, and at warm driving it stays at 60. Are these pressures good...bad...?? thanks guys.

oil pressure too high?

Those numbers are fine you have nothing to worry about. Tim

Hello

Hello,
I have the Auto Meter Oil Pressure Gauge and it runs around 65psi when the engine is warm.
Laterz,
D Rainer

clock.asp

Last edited:
I have the Ford shop manuals for my 94 SC 5sp. The specifications for the oil pressure are between 40 & 60 psi @2000 RPM and normal operating temerature. As the other guys said, I ususally don't worry about the pressure at start unless very high or very low. I have a sunpro oil guage in the car and check from time to time (e.g. at a red light) that it's between 40-60 psi @2000 and normal temp.

I have noticed that the pressure will begin to drop as the filter is reaching the end of it's life. You may know that oil filters are equipped with a bypass valve so that if the filter gets clogged, the engine is not starved of oil. So, as the filter gets "full", the bypass may begin to open and show lower pressure at normal temp and 2000 RPM. Helps me make sure I don't go too long between filter changes.

Hope this was helpful.

yes thanks....mine seems to be fine....its around 63 at anything above 2000rpm when warm and at idle when its warm it drops to about 35-40. Sounds right in the ballpark, so i'm not worried.

Back