Aftermarket Fog Lamps / switch

007_SuperCoupe

I'm not up on my electrical knowledge as of yet, so I'm going to pose this question to those of you who are. I am going to get aftermarket foglamps for my Bird, but I want to maintain the stock appearance, including the switch. From what I understand the stock foglamps are somewhere around ?22 watts? and the aftermarket ones that I have found are 55 watts. This poses a problem as the stock switch was overheating with the stock lamps in it (I'm aware of the recall and have had it done to both the birds I have owned). The aftermarket foglamps I have found are virtually the exact same size (2 1/4" tall by 6" wide) as the stock. It comes with the lamps, wiring harness, relay and switch. My question, is about the relay. What should I be looking fo in the relay that I can use it with my stock switch or should I go with a "Ford" type relay? Is there any other information that I should know before I do this conversion? I've searched the forum with little results except for one post which had a very helpful wiring diagram on it. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

just out of curiosity, since for some reason (not the bulbs) by fog lights wont work, what recall? and do those still apply to old cars? im not up on all that...

More than likely it is your switch. The recall back in 98 or 99 and it was for the foglamp switch/wiring harness. I'm not sure exactly what was replaced in the recall, but I do know that the switch would overheat causing the wiring harness to melt and supposedly in some cases catch on fire. I don't know if any caught on fire, but I do know that the switches would heat up quite a bit. Run you VIN by the local dealership and see if there are any open recalls on it. If not, then you just probably need to replace the switch.

tbirdsc35th

Did you put in aftermarket foglamps or stay with the stock? Thanks for the info, it will help a lot. If you did use aftermarket lamps, did you use the stock harness or did you use the aftermarket. I'm trying to figure out where the best spot to splice into the stock wiring will be. I'm thinking of just taking the aftermarket wiring all the way to the switch and then spice it in there. Opinions? Anyone done this?

Back