paint code

rddavis

I have a red 89 SC, trying to find out what color red that is. Is it Crimson red as in the later years? I am trying to touch a couple spots up and would like the paint to match relatively close. Thanks. Rod

Rod Davis
89 SC

Rod, have a look at the edge of the driver's door, there is an information label on there. One row up from the bottom, it should show "EXTERIOR PAINT COLOR", and just above that, have a two-digit code for the paint. The newer cars are usually two letters, but an 89 might be a letter and number, possibly starting with an 'E'.

With that paint code, you should be able to order the correct colour, however, bear in mind that 13-year old red paint is most likely faded somewhat.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

rod take a bolt or something with red paint on it to ,

take a bolt or something with paint on it to paint shop and the can spectro analyze it it will give you a exact match for your paint but it will not fade at same rate as old paint so what looks good now wont in two yrs.

Last edited:
your sc is not crimson, crimson was a 93-94 color with a very few late 92's supposedly floating around and maybe some very early 95's

its paint code is WH

I just checked my RED 89 SC in the garage and it's exterior code is
63D

I had a hell of a time tracking that color down when I was going to get some mixed at the local parts store. Finally tracked it down to PPG paint code 4217. Expensive stuff at $56.99 a pint in 2000

$56.99 a pint? thats cheap!!! i think crimson is like $100+ a pint, to repaint the sides of my car and gfx there was over $300 in paint alone

Back