SC engine swap

matt'sdrag95

hi guys.

i need your help (always good when you start out with that huh?).

i would like to swap whatever parts i can from a sc engine into my car(a 95 3.8l mustang).. any help you guys can provide would be more than appreciated..

any particular year engine, or specific years parts i should looks for, or steer clear of??
i know about the newer blower style (called the 'S' style??) flows better, but can i port and older to flow just as well or better?

is it possible to reuse my mustang short block that way to utilize a 9.5:1 compression ratio instead of the 8.5:1 of the sc?? there are numerous mustang 3.8s running 11lbs of boost or higher with centrifical blowers utilizing stock compression, why not a sc blower?

i would like to give the heads a full race port, same with the intake, and i've heard of porting the blower as well..morana cam, etc..
please give me your thoughts, ideas, and/or point me to someone that has been there and can help.
i'll probably send morana an email and ask him what he thinks as well, just to see what he reccomends.
thanks for all the help in advance.
sincerely,
matt boshar

Check out the tech section for specific help.

No you can't port an older blower to flow better than a ported late model blower. But you can get close.

You could certainly try to use higher compression pistons, but you would need to take measures to prevent detonation. Vortec and others run those high pressures are high engine RPM's only and prevent detonation through retarding the timing and running rich. Even at our low compression rating the T-bird still has to use a knock sensor to retard timing due to detonation.

Yes, a finely tuned T-bird can avoid detonation 99.5% of the time but trying to ride that line with higher compression pistons would only be harder.

Matt, there is a member here in southern Ontario that has done pretty much the same thing with a 94 Mustang, his car may be an auto. trans though, I don't recall. His board name is "V6 Sprout", real name Jamie Hiscoe. Post a message for him on the Ontario Chapter board, he'll hopefully see it there ... unfortunately he had some medical problems recently, so I'm not sure how much he's visiting the site.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Back