Adding Traction Assist

Rich Thomson

I have been researching how one could add the option of Traction Assist to a car equiped with ABS but not Traction Assist from the factory. The Thunderbird Traction assist was available on only Automatic 94-97 Thunderbirds. The TA applied rear independent braking to the slipping wheel. I have found that the ABS hydraulic Unit NON TA will work. The only change would be to replace the ABS Control Module with a TA unit and the cost is around $230 for a remanufactured unit. Two pins from the ABS wiring harness are for the traction control. Pin 25 turns the TA on/off and Pin 44 controls the TA indicator light. Battery voltage is applied to PIN 25 and the TA is activated. Flip a switch and the TA function is turned off. Seems very simple to make the TA toggle switch and light. If anyone is interested in more info e-mail me richt@mn12performance.com

I read about a company a couple years back that offered a full kit for like $900. I actually talked with one of the reps, but I lost interest. I wish I remembered the name of the company?

Thomas

Back