Clutch bleeder screw, stripped on inside of hole

derekhay316

Hey i just bled my clutch today and I noticed that the inside threads of the bleeder screw hole (transmission side) are stripped. I was just wondering how this can be fixed? (maybe retapped or something, my friend said that it needed to be heat sinked or something cuz it is aluminum). Also how big of a job will this be? Does the exhaust have to come off in order to get at the hole? How long would this take a mechanic to do? Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Well unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at things) the bleeder screw screws into the slave cylinder. I actually snapped one off a few years ago after I got done doing a complete transmission swap and I was none too happy. To change it out requires dropping the transmission. You may be able to rig something up to work, but it is hard to get into where the threads are. Also, the possibility of it leaking or completely breaking will always be there. Better to get it fixed right the first time. The slave cylinder is available for around $80.

I honeslty don't know what the rate is to drop and install the trans. I'm guessing it would be in the 4-6 hour range for a mechanic. It's really not that bad to drop the trans yourself unless you don't have a good place to work on it and/or tools to do it.

After dropping my tranny 2 times I can now do it in about 2-3 hours (could be faster but I have to lower the gas tank just to get the drive shaft off), you'll need a hydralic jack to put under the transmission and strap it on good when you lower it. You will need someone to help you with that part. A mechanic will charge you 400 bucks minimum for labor if you take it somewhere like pep boys if you got one. Other places are about 7-800 i think.

Back