batery light just came on?

pipecraze

Hey, I haven't really looked into this problem yet and figured I'd try you guys first.

I was driving home today (about an hour) went to merge and got on it. I looked down and the batery light had come on? Nothing happened other than the light came on. When I got home I looked real fast under the hood and the cables are connected ok. Started it again but the light's still there? Any ideas? Batery is only like 2 years old at most and car starts up fine, dosent crank slowly.

Thanks

Sounds like your alternator is on its way out. I would have it tested ASAP. Your car might be fine for a little bit, but it will let you down eventually if the alternator has gone south.

Don't buy a Chain store rebuilt alternator either

Look around at what Napa offers and ASK questions about their warranty. I'm on my 3rd AZone alternator.. and (after tonight) possibly I'll be in for a 4th in the future.

Let me repeat: I have installed 3 different alternators from AZone within 3 months. That frankly sucks... it sucks big.. what sucks more is that when these P'sOS go out, they won't just break and be done with it, they fail gradually and when bench tested, show as good! :confused:

Now, back to my latest woe. I left my lights on today and had to get a jump start when leaving the office. With the rebuilt P'sOS, this a VERY BAD thing to do. They state "Ford internally regulated alternators must be installed with a fully charged battery. The alternator is NOT designed to recharge a weak or defective battery and will (paraphased) cause the alternator to overwork and thus shorten its life blah blah blah!!!" :rolleyes:
Hello!! Isn't that what an alternator is supposed to do?? Hello!!
:rolleyes:

This is rather of course, a BS excuse for why their cheap, made in ethiopia, regulators blow beets.

If you must install it with a fully charged battery, then by deduction, you also cannot operate the alternator without a fully charged battery. :confused: :confused: That means no jump starts. I can't recall anything in my owners manual stating never to jump start the car, and also never to leave your lights on. So, this means that either Ford is stupid and didn't tell us about the problem OR.... the rebuilder is blowing smoke to cover up their boneheaded bulk buy of a load of defective regulators.

The OEM unit is rated at 110 Amps! Yes, thats one hundred and ten of them. I don't know if you know this but a battery 2 volts under charging voltage will not draw anywhere near that. _IF_ it were putting out 110A into the battery, then I wouldn't stand anywhere near a battery with that much fast juice going into it. The stupid thing would probably blow up.

If you take them at their word (guess you should if you want the POS to live for any period of time), them if your battery ever dies, you should remove it from whereever it is, charge it back up, reinstall it, and then start the car. Great idea if it died on the side of a highway somewhere huh?

OK, so I jumped it anyways, drove home for 1/2hr and am finishing charging it with a charger. Even with the 30 minutes of alternator charging, most of the cells were less than 1/4 charged. 110A my A**.

Hey, thanks for the replies! After looking in the haynes man. I figured it was prob the alt. going bad. I was going to go with the AZ alt but now I think I will look into the NAPA or rebuilding mine at a shop in town. Seems like every month something takes a
sh!t on this car!!! Called Pep Boys and they said something about a possible the tensioner assembly needing to be replaced???! Also quoted me like 250!!! Napa sounds like the best bet but haven't checked yet.

Thanks for the help guys!

Back