My Splitport Swap WORKED!!!!

racecougar

Now before anyone says anything about this not being a SC, I'd just like to mention that it has an SC EEC, a SC DIS setup, and many other parts from SC's.

Finally after about 8 months of smacking myself in the forehead, I got the car to run tonight. For those of you who don't know, I've been working on installing a splitport 3.8L V6 from a 2000 Mustang in my 1994 Thunderbird. I had so many problems installing it, especially putting DIS in a car that originally had a distributor, that I wouldn't even know how to explain to install this engine. Making it fit under the stock hood was a lot of fun, too. Big thanks to my dad for all his help (and his garage). I'd also like to thank Brian Herron for making the chip (and dynotuning it soon), and all my buds who stopped by to help. I'd like to post a picture of it, but I don't have a website. Could I send pics to somebody who does and have them post them for me? Anyway, I'll keep everybody informed on how it does on the dyno. I still have to install the FRPP 3.73 T-Loc rear end, the exhaust, and a few other things before it goes to Steigemeier's and onto the chassis dyno.

12300001.jpg

12300002.jpg

12300003.jpg

12300005.jpg

There you go!

Jim

Thanks for posting the pics for me Jim. By the way, AzzKicker Cars is my little business. I make some parts (adapters, brackets, specialty stuff), and I part out MN12s.

Because splitport 3.8L in mustangs run 190 hp. Remember this started as a 140hp LX not an SC. I had thought of doing the same thing to my 91 NA V6 until I ended up with my SC.

Well if you're asking for my reasons for going through with this swap, here they are:

I needed an engine for my Tbird, and I had this engine sitting in my shop

It makes more power and has a flatter torque curve than the singleport N/A engine

It's pretty unique (probably the biggest motive)

I like how it looks, and hopefully I'll like how much better the car moves now.

Pretty cool, good job. I know how hard doing something "unique" can be. I just built a '83 Mustang with a 4 barrel 3.8 that eats 5.0's in the straitaway and the curves so I know where you're coming from. I went through all kinds of things to get it all working together too. Nothing beats the satisfaction you get by doing something like this though. Hey, have you got any t-5's laying around? Hint, hint. :D

Vernon

I'll be installing a factory SC rear exhaust section, and I already have a resonator delete y-pipe. I'll also be installing the FRPP centersection within the next week or so before I have it dynotuned. Brain Herron made a chip for it just to get it to run, now he'll be dynotuning it for me so that I can get a little more power out of it. As far as everything else goes, the plan as of now is to make this my new daily driver. My other car can be the fast one, but everyone will just have to wait until it's finished to see it.

I'll let everyone know how it does when I get it roadworthy (brakes, tires, fresh gas). Hopefully that'll be within the next couple days.

This just makes me wish I had a garage of my own even more! If I had my own place I'd probably have some fun projects in there, and instead of getting rid of my SC I'd keep it there to work on it.

Oh well, perhaps after I graduate I can get a place and get another SC.

-Chris

Looks good, I'd like to see it with a supercharger on it as well, people would end up very confused ;-)
Paul

I'll be installing a factory SC rear exhaust section, and I already have a resonator delete y-pipe. I'll also be installing the FRPP centersection within the next week or so before I have it dynotuned

I Would not use a SC rear exhaust section... Its horribly small. A dynomax catback can be had under $200.

Also, I have never heard of the FRPP centersection.. What is that?

Chris

The FRPP centersection is the completely aluminum Ford Motorsport 8.8" centersection with 3.73 gears and a Trac-Loc. I believe they are about $700 from Ford. As of right now, I'm up in the air on the exhaust.

The FRPP centersection is the completely aluminum Ford Motorsport 8.8" centersection with 3.73 gears and a Trac-Loc.

Oh you mean the FRPP pumpkin huh? The whole centercention crap thru me off...

Chris

Well we dynotuned the car at Stiegemeier's today. With bad gas in the car, the rear brakes grabbing, running a little on the rich side (for safety), and using a conservative amount of timing we managed to get 145 rwhp and 187 rwtq. That's not too bad, seeing as that we were tuning just to get the car running correctly, not really trying to make power. I took it for a drive on the street outside Stiegemeier's shop to discover that I currently don't have 1st gear, either the linkage or the MLPS is out of adjustment. But starting in 2nd, as soon as you hit 2000, it pulls pretty hard for a N/A V6. Overall I'm pretty happy with the car, and as soon as I get 1st gear to work I'll be really happy. Keep in mind also that the above numbers are through the factory single exhaust, I haven't had a chance to install duals. I'm expecting that after I get all of the bugs out of it and retune it, I should be around 160 rwhp and 200 rwtq on midgrade fuel. Oh, and one thing's for sure, I really like the FRPP centersection. Those 3.73's are great.

HOW ABOUT A INVERTED BLOWER ON THAT

BEAT THE SPLIT PORT WOULD BREATH GREAT WITH SOME EXH WORK MANIFOLD WOULD BE A BREEZE TO MAKE FOR IT

Back