strange problem

toastmaster7

lately sometimes when I start up my SC, the rpms drop real low and it almost stalls out, usualy doesnt but sometimes it does. even when i rev it up it drops back down real low. once i force it to get going its pretty much fine. it did this all day yesterday but today its been fine the whole day. im only about a 1/4 through the "auto repair for dummies" book so i dont know much yet, does this sound serious to anyone?

Hi, toastmaster.

I hope I don't sound condescending here but have you tried pulling the EEC codes? It seems a lot of times owners aren't doing this and it seems to me a very easy way to see if all sensors and components are working properly.

You can check the codes with a scanner or manually by the procedure at http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/Tips/EECSelfTest.htm . You can find the codes there also. So many things can cause rough idling like vacuum leaks at the IC tubes, vacuum line cracked, O2 sensor off, and the like. I hope this helps steer you in the right direction. Once you eliminate any bad sensors or connections, then you can look at other areas. Don't feel bad when these SC's throw you because they are notorious for that.

Good luck and Happy Holidays.

If everything else is Ok and there aren't any codes, you might want to check the idle air control solenoid on front side of the throttle body. They are notorious for carboning up and can be removed and cleaned with a brake parts type cleaner that won't attack plastics.

toaster

Just a thought but you might want to check your fuel filter. (along the rail under the passenger side)

My SC was doing the same thing, and after a lot of headache and time it turned out mine was just long past due for a change.

Back