Found new idler pulley part number 38023

Shockwave

I found an exact replacement idler pulley made out of plastic for the SC. It's NAPA part number NBH38023 $18.99. This part is actually made by Gates and from their DriveAlign series part number 38023. It's 34mm wide and 76mm in diameter. It works perfectly with the bolt and dust cover. I can't find a small pulley like it for the SC though. This is much better than the smaller Dayco 89007 which is only about 28mm wide.

38023.jpg

Jerry

You can get the metal ones from Auto Zone for $14.99 and they are much better. I think the part numer is 49579 or something like that. Look them up for a 95 ford taurus.

That's great that you found it. The main reason for the swap to the metal pulley has been noise.

The plastic with the rubber belt tends to create a hum or howling noise when the engine is running. The metal pulley eliminates this noise.

As far as the dust shield, it's really not needed on those that don't come with one. It's just nice to be able to have it on there to finish off the look of the pulley.

I don't have anything against the plastic pulleys myself. Mine are 13 years old and the bearings are going bad. If I get another 13 years out of the replacements it's all good.

Thanks for the metal pulley part number. Is it 34mm wide? Does it need any modification to use? Got a pic?

:)

Jerry

Will this Idler pulley make the big belt looser or tighter?

I have a problem where my alternator idler pulley wants to rub on my water pump pulley. I was thinking of just going with a smaller belt, but if I change the idler that will work too.

Anthony

The 38023 is 100% exact duplicate of the stock 76mm pulley for alt. and jackshaft idler. This part is exactly the same width and diameter. There is NO difference between this pulley and the stock one. So there is no performance or functional difference over stock. I was just letting people know about the part for replacement purposes. Buying this part saves you from buying the whole tensioner assembly from Ford just to get new idler pulleys.

Back