PDA

View Full Version : (help) Leak Onto Exhaust Manifold

NorthrnSCownr
12-31-2002, 06:16 PM
:(
So here is the situation. I have smoke coming from the area underneath the brake fluid resevoir. Upon examination I could see the smoke coming off of the exhaust manifold, and can even see a spot from the burning, from undeneath of the car. I can't however, get more than my thin hand down there, or an eyeball from above. <p>It is quite packed there with the intercooler hoses, brake fluid res. etc. But the burning appears to be happening from right in that area. I am hoping someone has an idea about what the fluid could be ?(smells like oil)? and where it could possibly be coming from.
<p> I also noticed a couple of spots of tranny fluid in the snow(I am working on a gravel driveway
:mad: In Maine!! And if that could be the culprit, or it is another problum entirely. I have just purchased the car about a month ago, and first had to replace a blown(plastic) radiator, and now this dilema. One more thought is that because my abs and brake light go on under panic braking, I should replace the accumulator, and if I do, would it make sence to do it while I have access to the manifold area? I am relativly new to working on cars, but I am very willing to learn, and give it my best. Especially for my SC! Any thoughts or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

1990_Tbird_SC
12-31-2002, 06:37 PM
How much smoke is coming out, is it alot. does it only happen after youve driven the car ie drive down the road and stop and smoke comes from under the hood? If so then it could be a head gasket lead from the rear of the engine this just happened to me.

hope this helps

NorthrnSCownr
12-31-2002, 06:41 PM
If I start the car and let it run for 2 minutes, the smoke starts coming out. I haven't been driving it, so I'm not sure about that. It ends up being about the amount of smoke you would see from a cigarette in an ash tray....(best analogy) What was the out come of the H G lead?

Mike8675309
12-31-2002, 07:22 PM
Make note of where all the fluid levels are and then drive the car, let it smoke, and see if anything dropped. Especially the brake fluid level. Though brake fluid would be under pressure and move out pretty quickly unless the resevior has cracked.

another possibility would be the windshield washer hoses. They run up through that area and could be leaking.