How to adjust a TPS?

jorgehernan

I need to know how could I adjust the TPS?? What are the ranges?? I need to low down the idle at neutral moving. When I am drinving and I am going to do a stop I always put the car on neutral before I arrive to the stop sing. So the idle goes to 1,500-1,600RPM instaed of going to 800rpm (that is the idle when the car is not moving but the engine running). Somebody told me that I need to adjust the TPS becuase it was normal that the idle goes to 1,100 or 1,200RPM in neutral with the car moving (this has some name that I do not remember) but not 1,500-1,600RPM. That is why I nee to know how to adjust the TPS. Also, What heppend if I have the EGR desconnected. The car will not function ok or I just will have soem code in the rom memory??
Thanks
Jorge:D

This may have no bearing on this but I thought I'd throw it out anyway. When I had my 84 SVO Mustang, there came a time I needed to replace the tps. A friend had a spare and let me have it. It had no adjustment so I just installed it and went on with it. Well it didn't really run the best and I did some checking around. Autozone and O'Reilly's had the same type but Pep Boys had one that was adjustable. The mounting holes were slotted. I bought it and was able to get the setting dead on. No more problem. I find out later that Ford had issued a notice and part number for this spacer plate thing that mounted between the manifold and the idle solenoid. Apparently there were problems of carboning and this was Fords fix for a non adjustable TPS. I bought the plate, installed it, and put the non adjustable tps on and did fine after that. Ran like crazy. Is this a similar situation with these SC's? To me, except for a really bad carbon problem, an adjustable TPS would be the way to go to get the voltage correct. Just a thought, guys.

Have a great week all.

TPS adjustment

Your TPS can be made adjustable by drilling out both gromets to allow movement. Re-install the TPS and adjust the voltage with a digital volt meter. Works like charm.

First you want to make sure that the base idle is set properly. Procedure is to back off idle stop screw until a .010" feeler gauge can be inserted between stop screw and stop. Tighten until contact is made, then another 1.5 turns.

Then you check the TPS. Voltage range is from .49-1.22 V with the throttle closed. I try to keep it between .75-.90.

Another small test of your idle is to warm the motor up, and then shut it off. Disconnect the IAC and restart the motor. It should idle at about 600-700 rpm. With your cam it may be a little rough, and may require a little more throttle blade opening. It is okay to open the throttle more than 1.5 turns, but then you must make sure that your TPS is still in range.

Hey Dave, my TPS at closed TB ignition on was .93V. I mean at messured with the ignition key on but not running. Is this correct or I have to adjust it??. Or Do I have to messure with the engine runing at idle speed??
Thanks
Jorge:D

You have checked it correctly, and that is a good reading. Did you fix the FPR vaccum/boost line yet?

Thanks Dave. So it is correct my reading and it is ok like that. Yes, I got now all the vacuum lines as your diagram. Even I installed a little fan for the IC but I still have high temps (1500-1600 F) at 4,500-5,000RPM and I am using annextra 30Lph injector. So, I am worry about it. The tune up in my EEC was supposted to fix all the needs for the SC and other mods but I think I am getting short of fuel at high RPMs. I live in a town on the noth of my coutry and I am like 150 miles from the Capital. There is a dyno in the Capital and as soon as I can go there I will pay the dyno sesion. Maybe in a week or two. When I get the data from the dyno sesion I will write you again.
Thanks
Jorge:(

Back