Car Wont Idle!!!

89Cougar_XR7

I just recently replaced a hose on the Power Steering Pump. after i put everything back together some problems came about. One of which is that myt car wont idle. it runs fine as long as i give it gas, but as soon as i let up the car dies. there are no funny smell, no smoke coming from either the eninge or exauhst. Please Someone Help.

no offense but you didnt search hard enough, there has been so many posts with many suggestions about this, try again. He asked if your intercooler was disconnected because even if it is connected, there could still be a vacuum leak.

So even the slightest vacuum leak can cause the car to idle rough?

And i also found some stuff on the IAC thingy. should i check that out? or even my MAF?

So even the smallest vacuum leak can cause the car to idle rough and even die?

I did some more search and i found some stuff on the IAC thingy. Should i check that? or even the MAF?

If you don't have perfect seals at the Intercooler and Supercharger joints, the leaks can cause idle problems as well as stumbling and loss of power at boost. The reason those are likely, as opposed to the IAC or the MAF, is that is the area you were working in, so thats where the problem is most likely to be.

If you can tell us which parts of the tubing you removed, we can probably tell you the easiest way to reseal them.

I REMOVED THE UPPER AND LOWER SUPERCHARGER PIPES AS WELL AS THE INTERCOOLER ITSELF. BASICALLY EVERYTHING ON THE RIGHT SIDE.

try a set of tbird88's intercooler teflon gaskets. They work like a champ. And they are resealable too.

rkahochoa has it. Use some Copper RTV on the seating flanges, and tighten the nuts evenly a little bit at a time. No need to overtighten. 10 lbs should do it. If you only pulled the IC off, those should be all you need to reseal. If you pulled the lower tube off near the intake plenum, its going to be a bit of work to seal it back up. Try just tighten that joint evenly, resealing the IC tubes and test it out; you might get lucky.:D

Another item which may be unrelated is your O2 sensors. Mine started acting up when it got cold, and now doesn't idle. I have to keep on the gas when idling. And it will only idle at 1700 RPM. Anything below that and it wants to die. One quick check to see if your IC tubes are leaking is to get some carb cleaner and spray it on the connections while the car is running. You should notice a rise in the idle if there is a leak. Also, with most vacuum leaks, there will be a high pitched whistling while idling. I heard mine sitting in the ddrivers seat, so it will be noticeable. I'd get someone to pul your codes. If you get a code of "always lean" or "always rich" on one side or both, you've got bad O2 sensors. My guess is the first. That is where I'd start anyway. I'd think that you could find a mechanic there in Freemont to pull your codes for free.

Thnx for the help guys!!!! I never expected so much help, and so quick too. I'll get right on it tomorrow and update you guys on how it went. I'ts supposed to get up to 47 degrees tomorrow(PERFECT)!!!

Back