Oil Leaking

89Cougar_XR7

Ok, I went outside to check my idleing problem, and after running the engine for a bit, even driving down the street, i noticed oil leaking from under the engine. right in front of the oil pan.

Any suggestions?

Also i only ran the engine for about 5 min and the radiator was scoulding hot. Is this a thermostat problem? Or something bigger?

Mine was leaking in the same spot. It might be your valve covers im currently replacing my Head Gaskets right now and both my value covers had at least 2 screws that were not even finger tight and the leaked. About your rad being hot. I believe its normal, while running the car give the upper rad hose a squeeze and you should be able to tell wether the ther is working as long as you can feel a flow of coolant.

Hope this helps

Valve covers are the probable culprit. On a 2k mile trip, I put almost 3 quarts of oil in it because of oil leaking from my covers and lower intake manifold. I fixed it and since (5k) have only put in 1/2 quart. I'm still leaking from the bottom half though!

Other things to check.

Sometimes the motor mounts are so bad that the oil filter gets a hole rubbed in it. This is also the cause of the high pressure line for the power steering pump rubbing through the pan or the line.

The oil pressure sender can fail and cause a pretty good leak that drips down the oil pump and onto the ground.

Jeff

Back